Go Down

Topic: Arduino Uno : Accidentally fried USB chip - Can I use this to work around it? (Read 115 times) previous topic - next topic

So, long story short, I have an Arduino Uno board that I can't program or communicate with using USB, the chip works and can be powered via USB with no issues - There is just no way of communicating with it.

I was wondering if it is possible to simply use something like this to program the Arduino?

A CH340 USB-TTL Converter.

And just to avoid any suggestions about fixes or questions to just use the USB connection again - This is my last effort before canning the board. I've tried every trick tip or suggestion from this forum and other places, and none have proved successful.

Thanks in advance! :)

CrossRoads

Yes. May need to press Reset when IDE shows "compiled xxx of 32xxx bytes".
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

zahisho

I had the same problem, and also had the same idea. IT IS possible to program with that USB SERIAL conversor, you just have to select the COM port that is opened in the Arduino's menu Tools-Port, and as CrossRoads said press Reset when IDE shows "Uploading" (in my case).

About the connections between Arduino board and USB SERIAL conversor, I connected GND(Arduino)-GND(Conversor), Vin(Arduino)-Vout(Conversor).

ChilliTronix

In principle it will work. We use and sell those for use with Pro minis. See our wiring notes here.
Do not send technical questions as PM's they will be ignored.

In principle it will work. We use and sell those for use with Pro minis. See our wiring notes here.
I'm having problems getting it to actually work.

I have it connected as:

UNO     CH340
RX       TX
TX       RX
vin      vc
GND    GND
RST     DTR

The arduino software simply says "Uploading" with the green progress bar, and then it is stuck there while nothing happens.

ChilliTronix

Normally you do swap over the RX and TX. Try unswapping them and see if that helps.

Also try a cap between reset and DTR as well as a 10K pull up on the reset side.
Do not send technical questions as PM's they will be ignored.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy