Go Down

Topic: One-way wireless LCD display with Arduino mini (Read 320 times) previous topic - next topic

highFlyer04

Oct 13, 2014, 01:38 am Last Edit: Oct 13, 2014, 04:03 am by highFlyer04 Reason: 1
Hi guys,

So the "gist" of what I am trying to do is connect a wireless display with an arduino mini in the most cost efficient and robust manner and feed sensor information to be displayed on a screen.

Little more on the project:

A laser distance measurement sensor and arduino will be mounted outside an airplane and send altitude and vertical speed information wirelessly to a display inside the cockpit.

It would be a one-way transmission sensor -> display that cannot rely on direct line of sight based wireless communication but only needs to have a transmitting distance of about 5ft or less.

I've looked a bit into an XBee shield which I think would work but seems like overkill for my intended purpose.

Have any good suggestions?

Thanks!

floresta

Oct 13, 2014, 02:49 am Last Edit: Oct 13, 2014, 02:51 am by floresta Reason: 1
Have any good suggestions?

Yes.  Look into using a pair of 'Moteino' boards -->  http://lowpowerlab.com/moteino/ .

It's 'gist' not 'jist'.

Don

highFlyer04

Monteino is every interesting board. I'm surprised I haven't heard of it before.

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

MarekB

Don't know what kind of airplane it is and maybe it's not an issue (not an airplane expert) but are you sure that the wireless is not gonna interfere with airplane's systems? Or are you just gonna risk it? :)

bperrybap

I would think a large part of the driving factor will be data rate and data format.
How much data is involved, how fast does it need to be sent,
and what form is it in?
i.e. are we talking about something simple like low speed serial data or is it a live video feed?

For simple low speed data,
These guys also have several "duino" wireless boards /modules & sensors:
http://www.anarduino.com/

And then there always blue-tooth.

--- bill

highFlyer04

Don't know what kind of airplane it is and maybe it's not an issue (not an airplane expert) but are you sure that the wireless is not gonna interfere with airplane's systems? Or are you just gonna risk it? :)

I'm not worry about interference. The VHF airband for airplane radios and navigational aids is 108-137 MHz and the transponder (how ATC see's you on radar) operates at 1090 MHz. The Monteino spec sheet states that it operates at 915Mhz which should keep it clear of all the aircraft systems.

I would think a large part of the driving factor will be data rate and data format.
How much data is involved, how fast does it need to be sent,
and what form is it in?
i.e. are we talking about something simple like low speed serial data or is it a live video feed?

For simple low speed data,
These guys also have several "duino" wireless boards /modules & sensors:
http://www.anarduino.com/

And then there always blue-tooth.

--- bill

It will be serial data, essentially a constant stream of number with the data acquisition rate of 100 Hz.

I was thinking about bluetooth but its that pretty power hungry? I am trying to minimize power requirements and weight (battery size).

tylernt

It's hard to beat the unlicensed 315/433MHz modules for cost, the ones with the SAW TX and regenerative RX. They're often ~$2/ea from Asian exporters/eBay. 5 feet is no problem, in fact at that range you could probably push the speed up from the usual 1kbps up closer to 9kbps.

floresta

It's hard to beat the unlicensed 315/433MHz modules for cost, the ones with the SAW TX and regenerative RX. They're often ~$2/ea from Asian exporters/eBay. 5 feet is no problem, in fact at that range you could probably push the speed up from the usual 1kbps up closer to 9kbps.

Keep in mind that with these modules (and with any bluetooth option) you will still have to supply a microprocessor of some sort which does increase the overall cost somewhat.  You also have to interconnect them.  The Moteino is in the neighborhood of $20 including both the processor and the radio.

Don

Go Up