Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Bluetooth shield questions.**Please help**  (Read 1014 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,

Is the Bluetooth 4.0(Ble) backwards compatible? Is there one Bluetooth that will connect with all of them? I bought this shield http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bluetooth-low-energy-shield-p-1255.html?cPath=132_134  from red bear lab. It worked on the 4s but i am looking for a bluetooth that can connect to previous Bluetooth's. I read online that the 4.0 was backwards compatible but i guess not since the shield won't connect to my iPhone 4 a Bluetooth v2. Is it a programming problem or just hardware? Where can i find a Bluetooth shield for the UNO that will connect with any existing Bluetooth's? 

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Is the Bluetooth 4.0(Ble) backwards compatible?
Who's device? Backwards compatible with what?

Is there one Bluetooth that will connect with all of them?
What is them?

Is it a programming problem or just hardware?
I'd say that almost certainly the answer is yes.

Where can i find a Bluetooth shield for the UNO that will connect with any existing Bluetooth's?  
I think that expecting to find a bluetooth module that will connect with ANY other bluetooth module is a bit unrealistic.

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) is one aspect of Bluetooth V4, designed specifically for setting up simple, low power, links between devices. A BLE link requires a V4 device at both ends. V4 'High Speed' is basically a, bluetooth negotiated, adhoc Wi-Fi link, and requires V4 devices at both ends, I believe. V4 'Classic Bluetooth' supports the legacy bluetooth profiles, and is backwardly compatible with previous version devices.

The BLE shields so far available are just BLE, and don't provide 'High Speed' or 'Classic' support.

The real issue with iPhones prior to the 4S is that Apple don't provide SPP support in the iOS SDK.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:12:58 am by dxw00d » Logged

View Profile

Hello PaulS,

Who's device? Backwards compatible with what?

I am trying to connect my BLE shield to previous versions of bluetooth, for example: my iphone 4 is Bluetooth 2.1.

Is there one Bluetooth that will connect with all of them?
What is them?

Them is existing bluetooth's.

Is it a programming problem or just hardware?
I'd say that almost certainly the answer is yes.

So would i be able to connect the shield i bought to my iphone if i simply make the right program?

Where can i find a Bluetooth shield for the UNO that will connect with any existing Bluetooth's? 
I think that expecting to find a bluetooth module that will connect with ANY other bluetooth module is a bit unrealistic.

Gosport, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

I am trying to connect my BLE shield to previous versions of bluetooth, for example: my iphone 4 is Bluetooth 2.1.

You won't be able to do that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: