Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: DIY perf board shield  (Read 1650 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have two waterproof CDS sensors reading LED output in a vat of pulp that will determine the weight of hand made paper by reading density between the two. The CDS is reading fine on the serial monitor but the LED's are barely lighting even though the voltage is just over 5v on the perf board rails.  In another configuration (no shield), the system worked fine powered by the Arduino.  I assume an error in the DIY shield has radically compromised current?  Any ideas?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Sorry, the link didn't make it in the first post. http://www.flickr.com/photos/50454200@N06/8075405682/

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Did you remember to pinMode(ledpin, OUTPUT);?

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yes, pinMode is set to output. The LED's are lighting, just barely visible. Same sketch was lighting them brightly previous to the shield setup.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

the LED's are barely lighting even though the voltage is just over 5v on the perf board rails. 

What's the voltage at the LEDs? Have you got correct resistors? Try replacing the LEDs.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Voltage at the LED is just over 5v.  An LED at the 5v/gnd connections from the Arduino isn't bright either, even without a resistor!

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Voltage at the LED is just over 5v.  An LED at the 5v/gnd connections from the Arduino isn't bright either, even without a resistor!

Damaged LEDs...? Try a different one.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Leeds, England
God Member
Quick, chuck it in the bin before the boss finds out...
View Profile

Anything getting warm suggesting a short somewhere?

Beginners guide to using the Seeedstudio SIM900 GPRS/GSM Shield

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Nothing warm and checked LED's with same resistor. They are bright. Seems odd. Can't understand why the
LED's are so dim on 5v.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for the advise. Taking the cowardly way out; going to Radio Shack for a shield. This is my fourth time around with perf board with no guarantee the next attempt will be successful.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

Did you verify that ground on the shield was ground?. Frequently the assumption is that "Ground is Ground"... Having the correct voltage on one side is no proof that the other side is correct. If your ground return is the culprit... Always measure across the part as a means of separating bad parts from bad wiring.

Bob

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

What I meant was: What's the voltage between the legs of the LED when it's lit up?

Edison Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

how are you powering this? maybe if using a USB, then you can try external power supply?

* Si preguntas, pon el código de tu programa, hace mucho mas fácil ayudarte. Y me ahorro un mensaje pidiendo que lo hagas.
* Si consigues solucionar tu problema, dedica unos minutos a explicar en tu post como lo conseguiste para beneficio de todos.
* Cambia el 'Subject' de tu hilo y añade 'SOLUCIONADO' cuando hayas llegado a una solución al problema que planteaste.
* Utiliza un 'Subject' para tu hilo que explique de que va el hilo.
Si estas empezando:
* Comienza a usar Arduino
* Guías de iniciación a Arduino
* Ejemplos
* Referencia del Lenguaje
* Conceptos básicos
Guia de usuario de arduino
Tutoriales en Ingles
Si necesitas que alguien te escriba el código: http://www.freelancer.com/  o esta  http://www.guru.com/

Arduino rocks
View Profile

For unknown reasons, the shield is working as designed. Little afraid the short may reappear but satisfied for now.  Thanks.

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

From the information you reported it is more likely an intermittent ground return to the Uno than a short. Shorts usually draw great amounts of un wanted current. It's also possible that your ground is/was a port pin that was providing the ground. Somewhat appropriate was an incident in the aerospace industry that I was a part of as a consultant, I didn't find or fix the issue but I was there when it was. a designer built a rather big PCB (about 60 Cmos IC's) and it worked well except at rated clock speed and the issue turned out to be the main 5V source lead... not soldered properly on a shrouded connector. Seems that the inputs from outside control elements were powering the board, through the input protection diodes.

Bob

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: