Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My inductor isn't working  (Read 541 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am using this inductor to build a 5V step-up board.  My circuit doesn't seem to be working.  I noticed the inductor used in sparkfun's product looks different and is bigger.  Is the type of inductor I bought suitable for my project or is there a difference between mine and sparkfun's?

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Well its only rated at 7mA DC which is very small..  How much current do you want?

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Australia
God Member
View Profile

The Inductors used in boost converters need to have a maximum current rating without saturating
of at least the maximum output current of the circuit X the ratio of the output volts/input volts.
An inductor that small will be saturating, and ceasing to be an inductor.
Needs to be a lot bigger.

Edison Member
View Profile

Is the type of inductor I bought suitable for my project

Absolutely yes, if your project is about generating tiny puny current;
Absolutely no, if your project is anything else.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

The Digikey search page allows you to filter inductors by saturation current. See the reply from mauried to calculate the absolute minimum saturation current rating you need, and increase it by a factor of at least 1.5, preferably more. Also check from the datasheet of the switching regulator IC that 47uH is an appropriate value for your input voltage, output voltage and output current.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: