Go Down

Topic: how am i going to use transistors to control the the current for each layer? (Read 594 times) previous topic - next topic

yangfizz

i wanna build a 2x2x2 led cube on my breadboard. i currently have uno, some leds, soldering iron and some jumper wires. i read some post online saying that i have use transistors for each layer, i wonder how that works because i don't see any transistor on top of each layer.

Osgeld

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

CrossRoads

For layer 1 you will have 4 IO pins connected to current limit resistors and then to the 4 LED anodes.
All 4 cathodes will connect to the collector of an NPN transistor, emitter to Gnd.
5th IO pin to 270 ohm resistor to NPN Gate.

For layer 2 you will have the same 4 LED anodes connected to the 4 anodes from layer 2.
All 4 cathodes will connect to the collector of a 2nd NPN transistor, emitter to Gnd.
6th IO pin to 270 ohm resistor to NPN Gate.

Drive the anodes, turn on transistor 1 for 5 mS. Turn off transistor 1.
Drive the anodes, turn on transistor 2 for 5 mS. Turn off transistor 2.
Repeat.
Occasionally, change what you drive out on the anodes.

Exand the number of anodes, layers, transistors to make a bigger cube.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

yangfizz

oh, thanx, i now have a sense of what to do now, okay, so my last question is that how do i connect the transistor to the cathode on the second layer? and how i control the transistor to be on and off(sorry for being a noob.), through programming?

CrossRoads

Generally, folks seem to bend the "layer" pins out at a right angle (cathode in this case), and leave the column pins straight to connect to the LED below it anodes in this case).
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy