Go Down

Topic: No sound from 1/4" jack recording to wav file (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I'm trying to prototype an audio recorder to help me with recording music. To start with, I'm just trying to use my Arduino Uno to listen to audio and record to an SD card as a wav file. I came across a tutorial from APC Mag yesterday (http://apcmag.com/arduino-projects-digital-audio-recorder.htm/) and tried to implement it last night.

I was using an analog synthesizer as my input. When I record and play some notes on the synthesizer then open the recorded wav file on a computer, I'd expect to hear the notes played back. Instead, I just got silence (the right length, just silence).

I've checked and rechecked the wiring and compared it to the article over and over again. I ended up removing one of the connections on the input jack because his is stereo and mine is mono. Maybe the code needs to change because of that?

Does this indicate the need for a pre amp or some other means of amplifying the input sound? Would an op amp do it?

Thanks!

DVDdoug

I'm too lazy to dig-into the code and try to understand/analyze it.

You don't need amplifier for a line-level signal.

You can check your hardware and audio signal input by running the Analog Read Serial Example Sketch, but with your hardware & audio input instead of the pot.  

The input is biased at 2.5V, so silence should read about 512.   When audio is present, your readings should "bounce" above and below that level.  A "loud" line signal should be about 1V RMS and that will give you readings somewhere in the ballpark of 300 - 700.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy