as for the bang, it's deafening not nice .... but sure was FUN!!!!
and as for why my computer died (power on, screen off) usb is not connected there's no shared link, it's isolated,
Exploding caps can easily take out an eye or two.
so what happens to all the stored energy? dissipated by heat?
Quote from: dhenry on Oct 11, 2012, 04:54 pmExploding caps can easily take out an eye or two.I've got a couple of 68000uF caps on the shelf. They look at least 20 years old, maybe more. We used to hold a couple of wires on them to charge them up then melt nails across the screw terminals on the top. Stuff like that. Here's one of them with a couple of normal size components for comparison.One day a little 10uF electrolytic exploded quite close to me. The metal case flew across the room fast enough to flatten itself against the opposite wall (which means it must have been going about the speed of a bullet...)Ever since then I've been too scared to charge the big one.
I have a circuit that powers a 11watt fluro tube from 12v, so i decided to have some fun and ramped it up to 16v, 20v, kept turning to max out this step up voltage regulator and i was starting to hit around 25voltsand BANG!!!!, the input capacitor exploded the whole house heard it, it was a 16v 10uf or pf, not sure, i replaced it with a 100pf 25v cap and cranked up the voltage to 22 volts getting a spark gap of around 6cm but anyway whatever happened it knocked out my computer (not even on the same circuit) reset my arduino (Which shared the same battery) something weird happened just before or just after huge amounts of energy for a brief moment was consumed my voltage regulator could not care less it seems must have spiked over 6amps which it was happy with, shame the voltage regulator powering the arduino could say the same, and as for why my computer died (power on, screen off) usb is not connected there's no shared link, it's isolated, but it was enough to make the arduino go spastic and tell me there's a power out (located about 1 meter away).as for the bang, it's deafening not nice .... but sure was FUN!!!!