Go Down

Topic: LOL - Exploded cap. (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

JoeN

Oct 14, 2012, 06:14 am Last Edit: Oct 14, 2012, 10:02 pm by JoeN Reason: 1

krupski,

I hope your teacher catches you now that you confessed. On the other side of the fence, a retired colleague of mine used to charge up a large capacitor, realizing some of his students has fallen asleep during lecture, then discharged it with a metal piece. The loud bang woke up everyone, very angry. That's how he got back at the sleepers. I bet he'd use a ruler to slap them if they still allowed that. Waste of money, I say, to sleep in a classroom.

The priests just used to throw erasers at us.  And we had to wear dark sports jackets to class...
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Docedison

Many years ago there was a trick played on Noob television technicians by the "Crew". The thing was to charge a 40uF cap to 200 - 400 V and carefully fold the wires (axial lead part) back to the capacitor body and then yell to the Noob "Here Catch" and toss the part at the noob. The practice came to an end one day when the guy that caught the "hot" one took the guy that made it and threw it outside and thrashed him severely. I'd have done the same If I had caught one... but I was aware of the practice... The sweeper filled me in first..

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

winner10920

What's really fun is to charge a cap to like 200v, then "taze" unexpecting friends lmao

Docedison

That's Exactly what was going on... the real difference was asking the person to "Taze" them selves by saying "Here, Catch". Still was a mean trick and potentiallly very dangerous as there is a Lot of energy in a 40uF cap charged to 250 - 300 VDC at least 2 orders of magnitude greater than the Tazer...

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

winner10920

Lol I musta posted that just after you did, didn't see that, it is quite funny, and it is cool how much energy the cap can disharge at once, I used a large cap charged to 200v to help me "safely " blow out the filament of a car bulb that I was going to use for a sort of neon lamp but just without the neon

Go Up