Go Down

Topic: Sketch examples of scrolling text on 8x8 LED matrix w/ MAX72xx (Read 19826 times) previous topic - next topic

bratan

I like the idea of using the 8x8 matrix blocks, beats the hell out of hand soldering 128 individual LED's. I might be tempted to do a smaller wordclock using these.

Thanks Riva! :) 
Yeah those 8x8 blocks are super cheap these days. I got 10 of them for $15 on ebay!
Xronos Clock - A talking arduino based alarm clock is now available. Check out xronosclock.com for pictures, source code, schematics, and purchasing info :)

Pedro147

Oct 22, 2012, 10:55 pm Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 10:57 pm by Pedro147 Reason: 1
Hi Bratan,

Very impressive for someone who recently said

"Thanks!  Honestly I don't really understand any of it (it's a little too advanced for me at this stage), but I will try! :) I need to read some more about SPI..."

Although I realise that that was specifically in regard to SPI, I wish that I could pick this up as quickly as you seem to have. Hopefully I can look through this code and try to understand how I can eventually write my first scrolling text code.   8)  wish me luck Pedro.
http://www.pedroduino.com

bratan

Hi Bratan,

Very impressive for someone who recently said

"Thanks!  Honestly I don't really understand any of it (it's a little too advanced for me at this stage), but I will try! :) I need to read some more about SPI..."

Although I realise that that was specifically in regard to SPI, I wish that I could pick this up as quickly as you seem to have. Hopefully I can look through this code and try to understand how I can eventually write my first scrolling text code.   8)  wish me luck Pedro.

Yeah I was absolutely clueless when I started, but persistence paid off I just refused to give up.  You have to try and try and try again, until it starts to make sense.  The way I eventually figured it out is that I drew everything on paper, made excel spreadsheet, tracked every iteration of for loops, values of variables, tons of Serial.printl commands.  Try to come up with general plan/algorithm first, describe it in words before you start writing code. I had very little success until I drew all matrix screens and pixels in the spreadsheet, all 16 frames of it and described what is happening. At that point I knew exactly what to do and it compiled and worked almost right away, like magic!  Wish you lots of luck Pedro, and let me know if you have a question!
Xronos Clock - A talking arduino based alarm clock is now available. Check out xronosclock.com for pictures, source code, schematics, and purchasing info :)

Pedro147

If I knew how to give karma points I would certainly send one your way  8) And you may regret your generous offer

Wish you lots of luck Pedro, and let me know if you have a question!
http://www.pedroduino.com

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy