Go Down

Topic: powering solenoids with sparkfun power drivers (Read 2061 times) previous topic - next topic

superliminal

Hi Arduino world,

I am working solo on a project, and would really like to have someone confirm my schematic before I buy the parts. I have studied the datasheets for everything, so I think this setup should work. I'd really appreciate any comments on this basic layout. I should note that I don't need to do any PWM switching on the solenoids.

Here's what I'm trying to do:
-control 12 solenoids (12v 10w push) from the arduino for use as a percussion instrument. The solenoids should actuate quickly off-on-off to get a nice percussive sound. Each solenoid will only be actuated once every 5 seconds maximum.

Here's my proposed schematic to do this:
-Arduino using its 12 digital outputs
-2 sparkfun power driver shields (each has 6 inputs) ( http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10618 )
-1 12-volt power source powering the power driver shileds
-12 solenoids (12v 10w push) powered by the sparkfun shields (6 solenoids per shield)

Here is my schematic image:

Any comments appreciated!
thanks

jwatte

If you only ever push one solenoid at a time, a 12V 1A power supply might be sufficient. However, if you need to power multiples, you will want a much beefier power supply. I'd go for a 12V 10A supply (120 Watts) to make sure that it won't croak when you pull many of them at a time.
Other than that, your diagram looks like it should work.

superliminal

HenzMc

I'm working on a similar project and I wonder, whether these SprakFun Power Drivers worked for your ?

thank you

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy