Go Down

Topic: Led project (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

ghiro_1993

Hi everyone,
I'm a occasionally arduino user and i need to make a project that i think it's very hard:
I need to plug a very important number of led on arduino (approximately 600) and i need that each led will turn on and then the same led will turn off when the next led will turn on...in this way i want to create a "led chain".
At the moment that arduino has not more i/o port...how i can to plug this big quantity of led in this way?
I Accept all type of tips.
Thank's
--------------------------------------------------------------
Ciao a tutti,
Sono un utilizzatore occasionale di arduino e ne avrei bisogno per un progetto a mio parere un po' azzardato:
Ho la necessità di collegare tra loro una grande quantità di led (teoricamente due strisce da 300 led ciascuna) e avrei bisogno di gestirle in modo che il primo led si accenda e si spenga subito dopo mentre si accende il seguente...così da creare una "scia luminosa".
Ovviamente le porte di Arduino sono molto molto meno del numero dei led che mi occorrono...come posso risolvere?
Accetto ogni tipo di consiglio.
Grazie

CrossRoads

600! That is a lot.
What you can do is make a bank of 9 or 10 MAX7219 8x8 LED matrix controllers. Each can contol 64 LEDs. You connect SCK
and Slave Select to all, MOSI to the first one and daisy data-out to data-in from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Boffin1

Oct 14, 2012, 12:20 am Last Edit: Oct 14, 2012, 12:34 am by Boffin1 Reason: 1
Or you can use 66 odd  HC4017 decimal counters ( at about 20 US cents each ) with a 555 clock,  Its going to be over a meter diameter  circle anyway with 5mm LEDs, so spread the chips around !

Whoops !  no arduino, I take that back ....... :-)
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Oracle

If you only need 1 LED on at a time and no other IO, you can control 380 LEDs with no additional support hardware using charlieplexing.

You may also consider an arduino mega, 25 pins will let you control 600 LEDs.  Keep in mind if you need multiple LEDs on, duty cycle will be a major issue.

fungus

Hi everyone,
I'm a occasionally arduino user and i need to make a project that i think it's very hard:
I need to plug a very important number of led on arduino (approximately 600) and i need that each led will turn on and then the same led will turn off when the next led will turn on...in this way i want to create a "led chain".
At the moment that arduino has not more i/o port...how i can to plug this big quantity of led in this way?

There's a lot of ways to do this but they all have one thing in common, you need to connect up some chips which accept serial data from the Arduino (so they only need two or three pins) and light up banks of LEDs using that data.

Look at datasheets for chips like these: TLC5925,  MAX2719,  WS2803

Most (all?) of these chips can be joined together in a chain to control any number of LEDs with no extra Arduino pins needed.

I think the chips you choose will depend on the shape of the thing you're making - a square matrix, a long strip...etc.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Go Up