Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ATtiny Capacitive Sensing and Sound  (Read 119 times)
I'm a maker, producer & educator, spanning creative technology, crafting & pervasive gaming. I run a creative technology education company called Codasign & I'm also working for The Open University on a project exploring eTextiles and visual impairment.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get a sketch working on an ATtiny85-20PU which will allow me to do capacitive sensing with the chip whilst also changing  a sound output. The sketch I wanted to use was this one, an amended version of Paul Badger's (there is an h file in the folder too):

#include <CapacitiveSensor.h>

CapacitiveSensor   cs_4_2 = CapacitiveSensor(4,2);        // 10M resistor between pins 4 & 2, pin 2 is sensor pin, add a wire and or foil if desired
int speakerPin = 12;
int pitch = 0;
int ledPin = 13;

void setup()                   
{

Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()                   
{
    long start = millis();
    long total1 =  cs_4_2.capacitiveSensor(100);

Serial.print(millis() - start);        // check on performance in milliseconds
    Serial.print("\t");                    // tab character for debug windown spacing

Serial.println(total1);                  // print sensor output 1

delay(10);    // arbitrary delay to limit data to serial port

pitch = total1/26;
  tone(speakerPin, pitch);
  analogWrite(ledPin, total1);
  delay(10);
}

But this isn't working - I think I read somewhere that ATtiny's can't do serial?? I also tried to get some tone based sketches working too but they aren't either....the core I'm using is this one: https://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/downloads/detail?name=arduino-tiny-0150-0020.zip

Any advice would be ace - thanks! smiley

Santiago de Chile
View Profile

Attiny85 can do Software Serial, some claim that it works. However you have to set the fuses to 8mhz and external crystal/resonator is desired.

Your attiny core is for Arduino 1.5, i don't use that IDE because if you only use Arduino UNO, Mega and/or attiny I recommend Arduino 1.0.5 for its stability.

I've used the tone library flawlessly with this library (same page, different core version for Arduino 1.0.5)
https://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/downloads/detail?name=arduino-tiny-0100-0018.zip
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 02:38:08 pm by mart256 » Logged

Work for what you love

Faraday Member
View Profile

I think I read somewhere that ATtiny's can't do serial?? 

Yes and no.
  http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-ATTiny-Serial-Communication-with-Tiny-AVR-Pro/

Unlike the UNO, the ATtiny85 does not have an FTDI chip onboard so you need to use Software Serial
Google "ATtiny85 using software serial"

Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,
DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: