Go Down

Topic: Small 8x8 matrix driver? (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

Nadav Ami

Hmm...good point, though I don't know how reliable they would be in orders of 100. Then again, they might be great. It's too bad they didn't make one of the MAX72xx's in a smaller package...

CrossRoads

It is available on 24-pin wide SO surface mount package - its just a little thicker than you wanted.

Or as bare die if you wanted it really thin.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Nadav Ami

Oct 13, 2012, 07:26 pm Last Edit: Oct 13, 2012, 07:30 pm by Nadav Ami Reason: 1

It is available on 24-pin wide SO surface mount package - its just a little thicker than you wanted.

Or as bare die if you wanted it really thin.

A bare die would be great, though how would I go about soldering that (or having it soldered for me) in a cost effective and simple way?

Edit: I just did some googling, and it I think the bare die would be overkill for this little production run.

dhenry

It's too bad they didn't make one of the MAX72xx's in a smaller package...

I wonder why that's the case, ...

CrossRoads

Another advantage might be interface speed.
MAX7219/7221 can receive data at 10 MHz.  I use  mine at default SPI settings which I think is 4 MHz.
If your main processor was really tied up and you wanted to send stuff out at 8 MHz to get it out of the way quick. The master can do that, I think testing has has shown a 168/328 cannot receive that fast tho due to the slave having to sample (the CS pin?) or something along those lines.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up