Go Down

Topic: Building a PWM mood lamp (Read 964 times) previous topic - next topic

dacaldera

Hi arduino friends,

I have been exploring the arduino for about 6 to 8 months now and have really enjoyed every thing about it. Just recently, the time came for me to create my first project, and I made a mood lamp with two RGB LEDs that cycle through all of the millions of color combinations from behind of a frosted plastic enclosure. Now I would like to take it just a bit further. Here are the details of the mood lamp that I already created, followed by the details of the next project that I will be making to see if I can get help along the way. There are still a few concepts that are new to me and am trying to grasp, so any ideas and suggestions are welcome:

Mood Lamp (already created)
-Uses an arduino duemilinovae
-Has a pair of RGB LEDs connected in parallel to pins 9, 10, and 11
-Has another pair of RGB LEDs connected in parallel to pins 3, 5, and 6
-Total RGB LEDs = 4
-The LEDs and resistors are hand soldered onto small plain chipboards
-Each LED anode has a 220ohm resistor
-The entire contraption is housed in a hand-made wooden enclosure with a frosted polycarbonate window
-There is a port in the side of the housing to connect the wall plug adaptor.
-The lights cycle between all of the colors of the rainbow.

Example of each LED chipboard

Mood Lamp II (to be created)
-Uses only a chip(without the arduino board)
-6 PWM pins needed
-The LEDs and resistors are soldered onto pre-printed circuit chipboards
-Same LED count and Resitor count as the previous version
-The lights flash and cycle in an array of different effects
-The contraption will be housed in a hand-made wood enclosure with a frosted polycarbonate window
-The wall wart will be moved insode the enclosure, and just the plug will go to the wall (possible??)

I am good with wood and have the tools and skills to make the enclosures. I really need help with getting the electronics to lower cost and with removing the arduino board from the circuit (just using the chip). I have never done that before.

I have seen the BlinkM, and my project requires a very similar functionality, but BlinkM is not what I am looking for.

Thaks for any help,

Daniel C.

Hello There...

Pauly

-Uses only a chip(without the arduino board)

I wanted to get my costs down and made a standalone board using only the chip.
http://electricprojects.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/standalone-arduino/
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone

6 PWM pins needed
Yes

-The LEDs and resistors are soldered onto pre-printed circuit chipboards
If you mean a manufactured PCB, then yes this is possible, but you have to design it and they can be pricey.  I like using Adafruit proto boards as they are nicer than regular perf boards.  https://www.adafruit.com/products/571

dacaldera

Hey Pauly,

Thanks for the informative reply, It really is ixactly the type of info that I am looking for. I think I will start out with building the arduino on the breadboard but I may try to take it as far as burning the bootloaders onto the Atmega. I'm going to use your shopping list as a reference for the parts that I need to buy. The adafruit protoboards look good, but I think they went up in price as they are now $11.25 each after qty 10. Ouch! Otherwise, I may just stick with the regular old perfboard.

-Daniel
Hello There...

Riva

I'm in the process of building a similar mood lamp though I have gone for something a bit more powerful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI8p4E3tFjs
I bought a cheap table lamp and will put the finished LED thingy in place of the current bulb. I'm almost there now just need to build and program a standalone ATtiny85 and tidy the project up. Will look something like this when done.
I might seem like an idiot but remember it takes one to know one.
Forum user generally fall into three categories (the good, the bad & the a**hole) what category do you fit in?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy