Go Down

Topic: Transistor Darlington PNP (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

superzaffo

Hi I want to make a test with a Transistor Darlington PNP TIP137.
If connect the C pin on 12v, the E pin to red cable on the fan and the B pin to ground... what happens ?
Naturaly the black cable, connect to the ground.

Thank you

I Know.. is stupid question  :smiley-roll-blue:

dhenry

what happens ?

A pop, followed by some smoke.

MarkT

That puts 12V the wrong way round between collector and base, short-circuiting the power supply.

_emitter_ to +12V, collector to load, base via a 10k resistor to 0V might fare a lot better ;)
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

superzaffo

Ok perfect... now i need to do this..
control the pc fan with the positive cable. Need to turn on and off.
I have tried with TIP137 and transistor or with TIP132 and 6n135 but all my test make the negative conclusion.
Not working both solution...
Please help me. What can I do for controll the fan with positive side ? Only with this system I can read the tachio of the fan... otherwise in the yellow cable there is 10V and damage arduino.

Thank you 

MarkT

I said:

_emitter_ to +12V, collector to load, base via a 10k resistor to 0V might fare a lot better

To control the base from an Arduino pin you also need an NPN transistor to level-shift to drive the base resistor of the TIP137.  Remember Arduino pins must not ever go above 5V.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

dhenry

What can I do for controll the fan with positive side ?

You need a highside switch. Given that the fans are at 12v, you will need a level shifter (a npn for example). A logic '1' turns on the npn, which in turn turns on the pnp thus your fan.

Runaway Pancake

http://incredulist.blogspot.com/2012/10/high-side-switching.html
"You gotta fight -- for your right -- to party!"
Don't react - Read.
"Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?"
Hey, it's "bipolar transistor" or "junction transistor" - "BJT" is just stupid.

pbrouwer

The tachio on a pc-fan is an open collector output. You can connect it to an input pin on the arduino using a pull-up resistor (to 5 volt) or use the internal pull-up resistor, even if the fan is running off 12 V. There is no need to use high side switching. You can attach the fan to 12 V then via the darlington to ground. If you use PWM to control the speed of the fan, the tachio output can be a bit noisy, you may need some filtering / debouncing.

superzaffo

Thank's to all...
PBROUWER: Can you explain this better ? "If you use PWM to control the speed of the fan, the tachio output can be a bit noisy, you may need some filtering / debouncing."
I Have resolved theproblem with a 4n35 optoisolator and a TIP137 PNP.
If you break the negative, on the tachio cable ther is a 10V and is dangerous for the aurdiono's pin.

pbrouwer

Thank's to all...
PBROUWER: Can you explain this better ? "If you use PWM to control the speed of the fan, the tachio output can be a bit noisy, you may need some filtering / debouncing."
I Have resolved theproblem with a 4n35 optoisolator and a TIP137 PNP.
If you break the negative, on the tachio cable ther is a 10V and is dangerous for the aurdiono's pin.

Nevermind, I got confused with a four pin fan (has a seperate PWM pin), and you are using a three pin fan. If you use high side switching you should be fine, it keeps the tacho sensor's ground pin tied to ground.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy