Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Advice on higher torque Stepper please  (Read 827 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi guys, started my first project with the Arduno Uno, Easy Driver and the sparkfun stepper. It was to open and close a heavy drawer automatically using the stepper and setting it's limits with micro switches. Also incorporating a switch on reset (if someone turned off the power whilst in the middle of an operation).

After putting it together it was a breeze to get up up and running, I come from a software dev background  smiley

Now I am thinking I would like to beef up the stepper to a higher torque version.  With this in mind I was looking at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180973950166?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_8359wt_1396 in conjunction with the Big Easy Driver http://www.schmalzhaus.com/BigEasyDriver/

Problem: I notice on the spec of the stepper that it states 2.8v and 1.68A... is that right? where would I find such a power supply and how would that work with the big easy driver? e.g is 2.8v too low to operate it?

*** EDIT: Im wondering if its 28v

thanks in advance
Nemo
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:41:37 pm by nemo1966 » Logged

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

What you have there is a bipolar high-performance stepper designed for high torque and high speed.  They are meant to be driven from a high voltage via a chopper IC that keeps the average winding current constant (like PWM for motors but controlled directly from current).  With a high voltage supply the chopping acts as a buck-regulator (which is power-efficient) but allows lots of back-EMF and thus high rotation speed.

A typical driver chip would be the A4988 or L6208 or many others

You'll notice the motor has low winding inductance as well as low resistance - this allows high PWM rates (above the step rate).

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

Thanks fo the reply.

Son instead of the big easy driver I should be looking at something like this? http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/a4988-stepper-motor-driver-regulated

thanks again
Nemo

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Yup.  Or use gearbox and a smaller simpler motor?

The high performance motors are principally used in CNC positioning systems to give both high speed and high-torque, sounds rather overkill for opening a drawer.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

It's not as straight forward as opening a drawer, the drawer also lifts a panel and the sparkfun may not have enough torque.

Could you recommend a smaller simpler motor with a higher torque than the sparkfun?

thanks

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: