Go Down

Topic: Leonardo uploads and runs, but no Serial (USB) output (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I've read the troubleshooting guide, and searched for similar issues.  Nothing quite matches my issue. 

I can upload and run sketches, and my Leonardo USB enumerates to a COM port that I can connect to, but I can't get any serial output from that Leonardo COM port. 

• Blink uploads and runs fine.

• (Hardware) Serial1 (pins 0 and 1) works fine to my FTDI cable (shows up as COM4 on my system).

• Leonardo enumerates to COM6 when plugged in or reset. 

• The Leonardo has nothing plugged into it except the USB cable and ISP programmer. 
  • The programmer is genuine Atmel JTAGICE3 and it's clearly working (Blink uploads and runs).

• I use Atmel Studio 6 for development (clearly working with this board and my other Arduino variants).

• Unplugging the programmer and resetting the Leo doesn't help.

• Device Manager (Windows 7 64) indicates the Leonardo com port/driver is working fine.

• I got the Leonardo driver from the Arduino 1.0.1 distribution.
  • I can see and connect to either of the above listed COM ports in my terminal software (Brays Terminal v1.9b).

• Terminal shows expected output from COM4 (FTDI / Serial1), but nothing when connected to COM6.

• I figured out that the loopback test can't work on the Leonardo variant, but I don't see that documented anywhere.

• The Arduino itself is an Olimex Olimexino32u4 (Leonardo clone).

What am I overlooking? 

Here's my test code:
Code: [Select]

#include <Arduino.h>

int led = 9;

void setup() {
pinMode(led, OUTPUT);
Serial.begin(9600); //speed is apparently irrelevant

void loop() {
digitalWrite(led, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
delay(1000);               // wait for a second
digitalWrite(led, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
delay(1000);               // wait for a second
Serial.println("test");      //doesn't work (Leonardo USB)
Serial1.println("test2");   //works great (pin 0, 1)

I'm drowning here, guys.  Should I have posted this somewhere else?   

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131