Go Down

Topic: I wrote a library for the Microchip EEPROMS 24LC256 and 24LC512 (Read 2798 times) previous topic - next topic

mdn15

I have been working on a library to make it easy to interface to the Microchip 24LC256 and 24LC512 Chips. 

The lib currently supports the following:
byteRead
byteWrite
pageRead*
pageWrite*

The lib is semi-configurable by running a begin function that sets the address and sets the mode of the chip (256 or 512).

*  pageReads and pageWrites are done using a 16 byte burst mode.  This is to overcome the limitation by the Wire Library in which the internal TX and RX buffer is 32 bytes.
I have also included a test Arduino sketch that exercises corner cases of the above functionality and random reads / writes. 

The library is available for download at: http://github.com/mikeneiderhauser/I2C-EEPROM-Arduino
The library is released under the LGPL license.

I have only tested it under Arduino IDE V1.0.1.

Hope this helps everyone trying to use these chips!

robtillaart

A common trick used when writing to EEPROM's is
Code: [Select]

write(addr, val)
{
  if (val != read(addr)) realWrite(addr, val); //
}

as this speeds up writing and gives less wear of some eeprom chips.
It assumes reading is much faster than writing, but i saw your write() has a 5 ms delay..
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

mdn15

I was going to do that, but I am leaving that to the programmer who is using the lib.  I wanted to keep this lib as small as possible to allow for a small footprint on the MCU.  I do see the advantage of this but I can also see some performance issues as well.  If there is a large enough request, I can throw it in there and update the repo.

Thanks for your feedback!

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy