Go Down

Topic: How to access unused pins on an atmega1280? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

kx

Hi all,

I've just put together a makeshift 'arduino mega 1280' on a TQFP100 breakout board, bootloaded it, and it's going fine.

There are a number of unused I/O pins on the arduino mega, ie. it has 54 digital I/O + 16 with analog, for a total of 70 possible digital outs, but the chip actually has 86.

So my question is, is there a way to get full access to the 86 pins through the arduino IDE?  If not, what kind of alterations might I make to make it possible?  Perhaps an addition to the hardware/arduino/variants/mega/pins_arduino.h file?

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be greatly appreciated.

CrossRoads

"Perhaps an addition to the hardware/arduino/variants/mega/pins_arduino.h file?"
Yes.
There are 3 areas where the ports are listed, where the bit for the port is listed,  and whether the bit is on a timer.
So you need to start with adding the pins there.
There are some other places where the numbe of IO is listed, and some other stuff.  I can't follow all of it, troublle readig the cryptic undocumemted C code.
I'm also interested in accessing more pins, haven't gotten around to chasing all the changes down.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

dhenry

Perhaps an addition to the hardware/arduino/variants/mega/pins_arduino.h file?

That certainly is one way.

Another would be to use port access available in gcc-avr.

CrossRoads

"use port access available in gcc-avr."

Can you explain how to do that and stay within the IDE?
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

kx

Hi,  thanks for your replies.

So for now, I'll try just adding a pin 70, on PJ2,  the unused pin 65 on the chip. I've added lines at the end of each of those three areas you mentioned.  It compiles and all, but I don't get a blink yet.

Perhaps it has to do with the defines part at the beginning of the file :

Code: [Select]
#define digitalPinToPCICR(p)    ( (((p) >= 10) && ((p) <= 13)) || \
                                  (((p) >= 50) && ((p) <= 53)) || \
                                  (((p) >= 62) && ((p) <= 69)) ? (&PCICR) : ((uint8_t *)0) )

#define digitalPinToPCICRbit(p) ( (((p) >= 10) && ((p) <= 13)) || (((p) >= 50) && ((p) <= 53)) ? 0 : \
                                ( (((p) >= 62) && ((p) <= 69)) ? 2 : \
                                0 ) )

#define digitalPinToPCMSK(p)    ( (((p) >= 10) && ((p) <= 13)) || (((p) >= 50) && ((p) <= 53)) ? (&PCMSK0) : \
                                ( (((p) >= 62) && ((p) <= 69)) ? (&PCMSK2) : \
                                ((uint8_t *)0) ) )

#define digitalPinToPCMSKbit(p) ( (((p) >= 10) && ((p) <= 13)) ? ((p) - 6) : \
                                ( ((p) == 50) ? 3 : \
                                ( ((p) == 51) ? 2 : \
                                ( ((p) == 52) ? 1 : \
                                ( ((p) == 53) ? 0 : \
                                ( (((p) >= 62) && ((p) <= 69)) ? ((p) - 62) : \
                                0 ) ) ) ) ) )

#ifdef ARDUINO_MAIN

Does anyone have any idea how to interpret the meaning of this?

Tom Carpenter

Oct 14, 2012, 01:01 pm Last Edit: Oct 14, 2012, 01:14 pm by Tom Carpenter Reason: 1
You don't need to worry about those lines unless you plan to use PJ2 as a pin change interrupt. However if you do, I have modified them for you:
#define digitalPinToPCICR(p)    ( (((p) >= 10) && ((p) <= 13)) || \
                                 (((p) >= 50) && ((p) <= 53)) || \
                                 (((p) >= 62) && ((p) <= 69)) || \
 ((p) == 70) ? (&PCICR) : ((uint8_t *)0) )

#define digitalPinToPCICRbit(p) ( (((p) >= 10) && ((p) <= 13)) || (((p) >= 50) && ((p) <= 53)) ? 0 : \
                               ( (((p) >= 62) && ((p) <= 69)) ? 2 : \
                               ( ((p) == 70) ? 1 : 0 ) ) )

#define digitalPinToPCMSK(p)    ( (((p) >= 10) && ((p) <= 13)) || (((p) >= 50) && ((p) <= 53)) ? (&PCMSK0) : \
                               ( (((p) >= 62) && ((p) <= 69)) ? (&PCMSK2) : \
                               ( ((p) == 70) ? (&PCMSK1) : ((uint8_t *)0) ) ) )

#define digitalPinToPCMSKbit(p) ( (((p) >= 10) && ((p) <= 13)) ? ((p) - 6) : \
                               ( (((p) >= 50) && ((p) <= 53)) ? (53 - (p)) : \
                               ( (((p) >= 62) && ((p) <= 69)) ? ((p) - 62) : \
                               ( ((p) == 70) ? 3 : 0 ) ) ) )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In order to get a new pin to work, you need to do a several steps:
(1) at the end of this:
const uint8_t PROGMEM digital_pin_to_port_PGM[]
add this:
PJ , // PJ 2 ** 70 ** D70
This specifies which port the pin is on (in this case J)

(2) at the end of this:
const uint8_t PROGMEM digital_pin_to_bit_mask_PGM[]
add this:
_BV( 2 ) , // PJ 2 ** 70 ** D70
This specifies a bit mask for this pin in its port (In this case it is the bitmask for pin 2)

(3) at the end of this:
const uint8_t PROGMEM digital_pin_to_timer_PGM[]
add this:
NOT_ON_TIMER , // PJ 2 ** 70 ** D70
This specifies that it is not a PWM output (which it is not)

(4) at the to, change this:
#define NUM_DIGITAL_PINS            70
to this:
#define NUM_DIGITAL_PINS            71
This tells the IDE there are now 71 useable pins not 70.

Then restart the IDE and try to run the code. It *should* work.
~Tom~

kx

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!  By going through those steps I was able to add all the rest of the pins, and I've blink-tested that they all work.

Thanks again

CrossRoads

kx

By 'post that'  I guess you mean my pins_arduino.h file for the mega?

I'll attach it to this message. It is to be placed in the hardware/arduino/variants/mega directory. You may prefer different placement of the pins,  but I just kept the original arduino mega pins, and went around the chip adding the missing pins to the end
from D70 till D85. An 86 pin Arduino for about $15, not bad eh?

Hope it's useful,

cheers

CrossRoads

Yes, that's what I mean. Thanks!

I have a couple of schmart boards and 2560 chips, planning to make a "standalone 2560" out of it. Add a crystal, caps, bunch of headers, be good to go!
This will make all the IO pins usable.
Now just need another 40 hours a week free for all my projects!

Docedison

CR keep us posted on your progress I would likke to use all of a 2560 like you except for a dedicated board rather than your "Open Face" design. This kindergarten project og mine could really grow if I could move part of the GLCD. It would let me save my "Nice" 4D Systems 3.2 SGC for smoething better than this one... or maybe not.

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

CrossRoads

How would you layout such a dedicated board?
I have several designs in the works, but mostly for the serial ports availability. A lot of the IO is not used.

Go Up