Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Any Ideas??  (Read 1087 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi , I first wanted to make a Windows Phone application for blind people in order to help prevent them from getting hit by surrounding objects as my graduation project!!, I have an Arduino Board, an UltraSonic MaxBotix LV-1 Sensor, and a USB.
Now after a 1 year work
I found out that it is impossible to exchange data between the Windows Phone or emulator and the Arduino Board via USB .
Is there any Ideas I can use or change my project making what I have ( the sensor, arduino , usb) useful? I need new Ideas!! Pleaaase

UK
Faraday Member
Gorm deficient
View Profile

Ditch Windows and go for Android

Per Arduino ad Astra

View Profile

Is exchanging data between the board and android via USB possible? cause am not familiar with how it's done, and I have to learn about Android from scratch !

Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, I remember
View Profile

Take a look at this,

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10748

It plugs into or pairs via BlueTooth to an Android phone.  It has the IO pins you need to talk to your sensors and it can talk to the phone.  If you must use the Arduino you could use the serial communication on this board to do that. 

As for just plugging an Arduino into a phone, that won't work because they are both perifierals and neither is a host.  Their are host shields for the Arduino, but things can get complicated going that route.

If you don't need to exchange much data you might try making a visual link.  By toggling the flash LED on and off and watching it with a photodiode connected to the arduino you could likely estabolish some rudimentary communication.  If your app can output audio you might also be able to make a link via the headphone port and an analog input on the Arduino.  I hope these ideas give you somplace to go.  Feel free to ask for more info on any of them.  I can't say I have ever tried this, but I am happy to throw out suggestions.

Ayer, Massachusetts, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

As for just plugging an Arduino into a phone, that won't work because they are both perifierals and neither is a host.  Their are host shields for the Arduino, but things can get complicated going that route.

Modern Android phones support host mode with an additional cable.  I just got a Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 cable for my Samsung Galaxy S-II in the mail today.  I was able to put a flash stick into the cable, and the phone had no problems reading it.  I wouldn't try to power the Arduino with it (it may be the phone provides enough power, but I wouldn't count on it).

Chile
Edison Member
Arduino rocks?
View Profile

Hi , I first wanted to make a Windows Phone application for blind people in order to help prevent them from getting hit by surrounding objects as my graduation project!!, I have an Arduino Board, an UltraSonic MaxBotix LV-1 Sensor, and a USB.
Now after a 1 year work
I found out that it is impossible to exchange data between the Windows Phone or emulator and the Arduino Board via USB .
Is there any Ideas I can use or change my project making what I have ( the sensor, arduino , usb) useful? I need new Ideas!! Pleaaase

I think there is no direct way to interact with Windows Phone right now. I can think on several things:
1) Bluetooth audio (if the amount of data is low, with a cheap bt headset you can send and receive 'data')
2) Earphone/mic jack (same idea as before, but much more easy... drawback = you lose audio in the phone itself)
3) Cheap router that can run WRT linux, so you just open a webservice or page in the phone

My website: http://ried.cl

View Profile

This isn't going to help on the technical side at all but I'm curious about your concept?
If you don't feel like posting more detail about it here-feel free to message me.

View Profile

Thanks a lot guys for helping me, and for the nice ideas...  I just need to know now, in order to exchange Data, Do I have to use a mobile phone or tab? or can I just use the emulator on my PC ? and how???

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: