Go Down

Topic: Midi Controlled Cassette Sampler (Read 2900 times) previous topic - next topic

Ghosts

Hi Everyone,

im brand new here and also brand new to Arduino. didnt know what it was until last week.

I am Music Production Degree Student in Windmill Lane Recording Studios, Dublin, Ireland.
I am in my final year and have to undertake a large scale project where i have to research and develop a physical product of some sort.
it makes up 33% of my final mark and i have till may 2013 to do it.

I have devised plans to develop a cassette tape sampler similar to that of a 1960's mellotron tape sampler but which can be controlled via midi

Cassette tapes can be easily modified to play short 7 second loops rather than 25 or 30 mins of playback.
if a single note of a violin for example is recorded onto this tape, this tape now becomes an endless sample of this note.

What i intend to do is replace the motor from a cassette player with a motor controlled via a microcontroller (I ordered a arduino Mega today) which i intend to be able to control via midi messages.

Ideally i want to be able control the speed of this motor so that it moves faster and slower, corespondent to a pitch, so this one not violin sample can now play a melody.

If this works, i then intend to duplicate this process a number of times with other cassette players so i can program them so they play in harmony.

I have literally no experience using electronics or coding but i am eager to learn and have plenty of time to do so.

just wondering right off the mark if anyone has any advice for me.

-Kev

cr0sh

You might find that a standard cassette player motor can't come up to speed (or change speed) quickly enough (due to a flywheel most players use); plus internally (on some players) they have an electro-mechanical "governor" (of a sort), internal to the motor, which uses centrifugal force to open contacts or force the brushes away from the motor to keep it at a fixed speed. You would either need to bypass all of this, or use a different motor (and ditch the flywheel, etc). If you can byppianopianoass the flywheel (not easy because it's shaft is what the tape passes between - that and the pinch roller), and use a different DC motor (or bypass the governor - not too difficult if you have any experience taking apart and fixing/modding small motors) - that would probably be your best solution. However, if you've never disassembled a cassette player before, you'll be in for an interesting mess on how to do it. As a kid, I used to tear apart many broken cassette players relatives and friends of the family would give me, so I became quite familiar with their internals. The mechanisms are all pretty much alike, but they still tend to be quite complex mechanically, and not too open to modding much.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy