Go Down

Topic: Sketch upload fails, FTDI chip constantly TX'ing (Read 527 times) previous topic - next topic

G-bo

Hello everyone, this might be a little convoluted but I'll try to keep it short.

I have an SB Freeduino (v2.3), and two months ago I unknowingly shorted its 5V pin to its ground in a circuit. I did the same with another friend's Arduino, realized my mistake and rewired, and afterwards her's worked. I can't remember if my own worked right after I fixed the circuit (kind of hid it in a box and ran away), but for sake of discussion I'll assume it wasn't completely destroyed. Both programmed fine before the shorting.

Since then I've recently migrated to a new computer, connected it for the first time, installed the FTDI drivers for virtual COM ports, and it looks like Windows 7 can at least see the FTDI. I've also done tested the same on another W7 computer with identical results. It shows up in both "Ports (COM and LPT)" as a "USB Serial Port (COM#)" and "USB Controllers" as a "USB Serial Converter".

When I power it on or connect it to a computer, the power LED and blue LED on pin 13 both work (#13 flashes), TX comes on and flashes for a bit, then it seems stable. But whenever I try to upload a sketch (eg. Blinky), it freezes near the end, and TX is constantly on.

Even outside of uploading a sketch, if I try to monitor the connection via Serial Monitor from the IDE, I get an endless stream of "!!!!!!((((!(!(  !!!((!(" which may be repeating sequences or assorted "!"s and "("s. I tried using PuTTY and it also gave me a stream of "!!!!!!!!        " (they're actually longer than that) seemingly repeating lines. The baud rate is set to be 9600 (or whatever the default is).

I tried the loopback test by jumpering digital pins 0 and 1 (TX and RX), went into Serial Monitor, typed stuff, which SM then spat back out at me. So it seems the FTDI isn't damaged.

Is there a problem with the bootloader (it uses the optiboot one)? Should I try burning another one to the chip off a friend's Arduino R3?

Thanks,

G-bo

spcomputing

The bootloader would be my guess.  Just hook up things like this and upload the sketch:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635

Serial monitor communications are 115200.
http://www.spcomputing.com

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy