Go Down

Topic: Questions for speedometer moto with arduino (Read 928 times) previous topic - next topic

elefher

Oct 23, 2012, 06:56 pm Last Edit: Oct 23, 2012, 06:59 pm by elefher Reason: 1
Hello guys!
I want to make a speedometer with arduino for my moto ( Yamaha xt 600 ).
I want with indications speed, rpm, fuel, temperature.
First,i want to learn if exists any sensor for speed which i 'll put on my motorcyle.

Far-seeker

There are different sensors and techniques that can be used, but most rely on measuring the movement of one of the motorcycle's wheels (usually the front, because that is not attached to the motor).  The easiest way would be to count the number of full revolutions in a given span of time, then use the circumfrence of the wheel to calculate the speed.  

As to what type of sensors are available to do this...  Most people would use optical or magnetic sensors to detect when a specific point on the front wheel passes a stationary (relative to the motorcycle as a whole) sensor, usually on one strut connecting the front wheel hub to the handle bars.  There are other methods like adding a potentiometer or rotary encoder to the wheel hub, but those are more likely to require significantly more disassembly and modification to the vehicle.  

elefher

Thanks for the help.
Where i can find this sensor magnet?
I am thinking more and i 'll do more questions

Far-seeker

Oct 23, 2012, 09:22 pm Last Edit: Oct 23, 2012, 09:27 pm by Far-seeker Reason: 1
The simplest magnetic sensors would be a reed switch, a small flap of metal that either opens or closes a switch in the presence of a magnetic field.   There are also Hall Effect sensors which actually produce an analog voltage but can be used in a similar way by establishing a threshold voltage in the sketch.

Edit: Also does your motorcycle currently have a standard speedometer?  Depending on what the output signal is, you might be able to connect the Arduino to it instead of making a seperate sensor.

elefher

So i searched but i cannot understand wich sensor to choose.
Maybe i have to choose a magnet sensor but who?
http://www.motionsensors.com/speed-sensors/hn-series-non-oriented-zero.shtml
Something like this sensor?

Far-seeker

Maybe i have to choose a magnet sensor but who?
http://www.motionsensors.com/speed-sensors/hn-series-non-oriented-zero.shtml
Something like this sensor?

The linked sensor is certainly a possibility and would work very well in this type of application.  That is if you don't mind spending the money on it.  I haven't priced any Hall Effect sensors of that grade recently, but it wouldn't surprise me if that sensor was over $50.00 a piece (especially for a low volume order).  Of course it appears to be a very robust unit in protective packaging intended for industrial conditions.  Therefore without extenuating circumstance (like a crash damaging the front-end of your motocycle), you'll probably never have to replace it. 

However, there are more budget friendly options which would still be effective.  For example, here's a Hall Effect Sensor that's $0.95 at Sparkfun, and you could get something like it for at least a little less through a major electronics distributor like Digikey, Mouser, or Newark.  The obvious difference is how it's packaged, but this one would need a small magnet to work properly.  Whereas the one you linked to might be sensitive enough to detect the spokes of the wheel moving past it without a a magnet.  Another low cost option would be a reed switch (that one has an extra case to make it more durable). 

elefher

Thanks my friend.
You helped me very much.
I 'll try

Far-seeker

You're welcome, good luck with your project.

Go Up