Go Down

Topic: What to use for locking? (Read 605 times) previous topic - next topic

tack

With a view to RFID controlled locking, I was looking at Magno locks but they seem pretty expensive.

The other option would be a solenoid type bolt lock.

I just wondered what kind of the things some of you guys use to achieve Arduino controlled locking?

I'm thinking some kind of saloon or revolving door. Ideally I need to restrict to single entries to track people in and out: my perfect solution would be an RFID detector doorway that just scans everyone, but it seems that kind of range isn't easily (or inexpensively) achieved.

retrolefty

just wondered what kind of the things some of you guys use to achieve Arduino controlled locking?

I would go with either a solenoid or servo operated arrangement. A lot depends on on the specific locking mechanics you are having to deal with. The ones I've dealt with are solenoid operated strike plates where the controlling mechanics and electronics only have to mount on the fixed frame of the door, rather then on the door itself.

Don't forget to design for a default unlocked mode in total power failure as human safety can be at risk.

Good luck
Lefty

scottyjr

Recently came across this:http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/category/144. Perhaps useful to you. - Scotty

Far-seeker

Oct 25, 2012, 05:22 pm Last Edit: Oct 25, 2012, 05:37 pm by Far-seeker Reason: 1

I'm thinking some kind of saloon or revolving door. Ideally I need to restrict to single entries to track people in and out: my perfect solution would be an RFID detector doorway that just scans everyone, but it seems that kind of range isn't easily (or inexpensively) achieved.

Instead of locking a door why not rig-up a custom optical turnstile?  

Edit: What I mean is have multiple optical/IR sensors arranged horizontally a half inch or so apart, about midway up your doorway/passage-way, that trigger when something goes past them.  You'd need at least two, but three or four could make it less error prone.  You wouldn't even need a barrier because the sequence of the sensors being triggered indicates if someone is entering or exiting.  For example if you three sensors labeled 1, 2, 3; triggering the sensors in increasing order would happen for movement in one direction, sensors triggering in decreasing order would mean movement in the other.

Go Up