Go Down

Topic: 12 volt Ikea led strip to pc power supply? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

heyarn

Hi Everyone,

I have bought an led strip from ikea which takes 12 volts. I want to power it with my power supply from an old pc (rated 480 watts). I know that the voltage is the same, but should I worry that the amperage is too high and might still end up burning my leds?

Thanks!

Magician

No, you shouldn't.  You can't connect 12V load directly to arduino, need transistors or IC driver.

heyarn

I wasn't going to connect it to arduino, I was going to connect it to 12v stips of led lights.

funkyguy4000

If you are worried, you could hook up some resistors in series between the power supply and the led strip to limit the current.  Start with high values and then step it down.
Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

retrolefty

Hi Everyone,

I have bought an led strip from ikea which takes 12 volts. I want to power it with my power supply from an old pc (rated 480 watts). I know that the voltage is the same, but should I worry that the amperage is too high and might still end up burning my leds?

Thanks!

Well I would like to know two things before I attempted to wire the ikea strip to a power supply. Is the 12 volt requirement AC or DC voltage, you didn't state which. I would also want to know what the current requirement of the light strip is. Without that information one is just playing russian roulette.

Lefty

Go Up