Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 12 volt Ikea led strip to pc power supply?  (Read 1458 times)
Carpe Diem
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi Everyone,

I have bought an led strip from ikea which takes 12 volts. I want to power it with my power supply from an old pc (rated 480 watts). I know that the voltage is the same, but should I worry that the amperage is too high and might still end up burning my leds?

Thanks!

Montreal
Edison Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

No, you shouldn't.  You can't connect 12V load directly to arduino, need transistors or IC driver.

Carpe Diem
View Profile

I wasn't going to connect it to arduino, I was going to connect it to 12v stips of led lights.

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

If you are worried, you could hook up some resistors in series between the power supply and the led strip to limit the current.  Start with high values and then step it down.

Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Hi Everyone,

I have bought an led strip from ikea which takes 12 volts. I want to power it with my power supply from an old pc (rated 480 watts). I know that the voltage is the same, but should I worry that the amperage is too high and might still end up burning my leds?

Thanks!

Well I would like to know two things before I attempted to wire the ikea strip to a power supply. Is the 12 volt requirement AC or DC voltage, you didn't state which. I would also want to know what the current requirement of the light strip is. Without that information one is just playing russian roulette.

Lefty

Anaheim CA.
Faraday Member
View Profile

It would be a good idea to know whether the Ikea strip requires AC or DC. If it's AC (unlikely) you need the IKEA supply... Most computer supplies I've worked with don't put out 40 A at 12V or 480 watts (usually that is the TOTAL supply power available) and is fairly well regulated. Assuming that you are using a separate computer power supply (VERY BAD IDEA to share it with a working computer...) You WILL need to "Load" the Main 5V supply with a 1 A or so load (a 5 ohm resistor at 10 watts power dissipation) this is done for 2 reasons, most switchers require a load for proper operation and second the regulator "sense" or control feedback voltage is usually done from the 5V output. Loading this point will insure ( as much as possible) that your 12V output is reasonably accurate. There have been several good write ups about re-purposing an old computer supply for a bench supply if you Google it you might wind up with complete instructions (I've seen 2 so far in the last month). You should remember that computer supplies especially old ones may well have questionable electrolytic caps and thus may not perform as well as a supply 'intended' for that type of service... as long as the supply output IS 12V the device connected to it will only draw the current it is rated for.

Bob

--> WA7EMS <--
“The solution of every problem is another problem.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: