Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Rotary Switch Colour Selector help needed  (Read 1181 times)
Finland
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I don't think a rotary switch is as easy as you think... it would need quite a lot of code and I bet there's no library for it.

A rotary encoder library with examples is probably easier for a novice to get working.

I don't think a rotary switch is as complicated as you think  smiley-wink I already provided guidelines for the sketch in reply #1. If the OP has any programming experience at all, he will probably write the code in the time it would take to find a suitable library for a rotary encoder.
(edit: typo)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:35:41 pm by pekkaa » Logged

Finland
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Well from a programming stand point, I think a seven level deep block of nested if-then-else statements evaluating if each pin is TRUE would be fairly simple.  However, it would take up quite a few lines by itself and be somewhat cumbersome if you ever had to debug it. smiley-wink  Furthermore it's perhaps the most compact ways to express the logic without getting into rather arcane tricks.

Why on earth would it need to be anything that complicated? A simple loop through the pins is enough, assuming he uses subsequent (is this the right word?) pins.

Code:
byte colorNum = 0;
for (byte pin=2; pin <= 8; pin++) {
    if (digitalRead(pin) == LOW) {
      colorNum = pin;
      break;
   }
}
if (colorNum) color = colorMap[colorNum];

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Well from a programming stand point, I think a seven level deep block of nested if-then-else statements evaluating if each pin is TRUE would be fairly simple.  However, it would take up quite a few lines by itself and be somewhat cumbersome if you ever had to debug it. smiley-wink  Furthermore it's perhaps the most compact ways to express the logic without getting into rather arcane tricks.

Ever heard of the 'switch' statement?

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages...

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

I don't think a rotary switch is as complicated as you think  smiley-wink I already provided guidelines for the sketch in reply #1. If the OP has any programming experience at all, he will probably write the code in the time it would take to find a suitable library for a rotary encoder.
(edit: typo)

I agree.

Plus ... you won't have five clicks on the dial where nothing happens.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages...

USA
God Member
View Profile

Ever heard of the 'switch' statement?

Yes, but a case-switch block involving seven cases, or even just six if one color is used as a default case, is going to be about the same size as a nested if-then-else block.  smiley-razz 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: