Go Down

Topic: Rotary Switch Colour Selector help needed (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

pekkaa

Oct 23, 2012, 09:15 pm Last Edit: Oct 23, 2012, 09:35 pm by pekkaa Reason: 1

I don't think a rotary switch is as easy as you think... it would need quite a lot of code and I bet there's no library for it.

A rotary encoder library with examples is probably easier for a novice to get working.

I don't think a rotary switch is as complicated as you think  ;) I already provided guidelines for the sketch in reply #1. If the OP has any programming experience at all, he will probably write the code in the time it would take to find a suitable library for a rotary encoder.
(edit: typo)

pekkaa

Well from a programming stand point, I think a seven level deep block of nested if-then-else statements evaluating if each pin is TRUE would be fairly simple.  However, it would take up quite a few lines by itself and be somewhat cumbersome if you ever had to debug it. ;)  Furthermore it's perhaps the most compact ways to express the logic without getting into rather arcane tricks.

Why on earth would it need to be anything that complicated? A simple loop through the pins is enough, assuming he uses subsequent (is this the right word?) pins.

Code: [Select]

byte colorNum = 0;
for (byte pin=2; pin <= 8; pin++) {
    if (digitalRead(pin) == LOW) {
      colorNum = pin;
      break;
   }
}
if (colorNum) color = colorMap[colorNum];

fungus

Well from a programming stand point, I think a seven level deep block of nested if-then-else statements evaluating if each pin is TRUE would be fairly simple.  However, it would take up quite a few lines by itself and be somewhat cumbersome if you ever had to debug it. ;)  Furthermore it's perhaps the most compact ways to express the logic without getting into rather arcane tricks.

Ever heard of the 'switch' statement?
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

fungus

I don't think a rotary switch is as complicated as you think  ;) I already provided guidelines for the sketch in reply #1. If the OP has any programming experience at all, he will probably write the code in the time it would take to find a suitable library for a rotary encoder.
(edit: typo)

I agree.

Plus ... you won't have five clicks on the dial where nothing happens.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Far-seeker

Ever heard of the 'switch' statement?

Yes, but a case-switch block involving seven cases, or even just six if one color is used as a default case, is going to be about the same size as a nested if-then-else block.  :P 

Go Up