Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: UK Power supply issue, recommendation needed.  (Read 1622 times)
Reading, Berkshire
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
I'm running an UNO with an Arduino Ethernet shield and a sparkfun color LCD shield.

When I use a 12V, 2A, center positive  power source it resets itself every once in a while and gets very hot.

When I use a 9V, 300mA, 2.7VA , center positive power source it doesn't power the screen properly.

I am wondering if using a USB power adapter will make any difference.

What power supply would you recommend?

Thank you.

Reading, Berkshire
View Profile

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9363

Here is the LCD

Reading, Berkshire
View Profile

one of these USB plugs and a normal usb cable got it working, I'm just wondering what power adapter I should use.. In case I ever need to use the USB for something else.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

one of these USB plugs and a normal usb cable got it working, I'm just wondering what power adapter I should use.. In case I ever need to use the USB for something else.

Presumably something that can supply less than 12V and more than 300mA.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages...

Norfolk UK
Edison Member
View Profile

Maplin
L67BQ 9V 600mA £11.99
L46BL 9V 2.25A £19.99

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it. Piss on it and walk away.

Edison Member
View Profile

When I use a 12V, 2A, center positive  power source it resets itself every once in a while and gets very hot.

In that set-up, if you need more than 200ma, I would seriously question if something is wrong.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

When I use a 12V, 2A, center positive  power source it resets itself every once in a while and gets very hot.

In that set-up, if you need more than 200ma, I would seriously question if something is wrong.

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Ethernet shields take 150mA or more, and the LCD probably needs 75mA or more, and Arduino 40mA, all adds up to more than 200mA - hence the excessive heat from 12V leading to thermal-shutdown of the on-board regulator.

Solution is either good USB PSU, or 7..9V supply to the barrel jack, or even a DC-DC converter (good choice for vehicle as supply is 12V anyway)

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

PS: What does this have to do with the UK? I'm intrigued by the mental leaps needed to come up with the question.

Nice, France
View Profile

PS: What does this have to do with the UK? I'm intrigued by the mental leaps needed to come up with the question.

DC is different in the UK smiley although the third post did show a standard UK mains plug (yes, they really are that big, rated 240V and 13A).

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Because a PSU has to match the mains voltage of the region its used in?  240V 50Hz in the UK.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Nice, France
View Profile

Because a PSU has to match the mains voltage of the region its used in?  240V 50Hz in the UK.

and France  and Germany and Italy and Switzerland and Sweden and

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

How do you have the LCD backlight connected? I don't normally power LCD backlights from the +5v supply, I power then from the incoming +9V or +12V supply through a series resistor. That way, the current taken by the backlight doesn't heat up the regulator, and it's less likely to go into thermal shutdown.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Because a PSU has to match the mains voltage of the region its used in?  240V 50Hz in the UK.

Nope. It's been 230V for quite a long time now (since 1983 I believe...) - to harmonize with Europe.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: