Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: JUMP ROPE STEP COUNTER  (Read 1024 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm an avdid jump roper for exercise.  I am unhappy with the quality of the counters I find on standard jump ropes.  Thinking of building and/or buying an independent counter i could use for any rope I choose.

I would want it to count steps as rope passes some sort of sensor.(along with other options)  BTW I saw one on youtube, but the link for the product suggested it could damage my computer so I did not follow it.

I don't have any knowledge about electronics, but am willing to learn.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to:

1. Use a light sensor vs. a sound sensor
2. Any pre-built units available
3. In no to #2  then suggestions as to how a real novice should get started.

Thanks to all

Skybill20  smiley

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Do you jump in place or move around? I'm thinking a force sensor in or under a mat. I fitted my situp bench with one and it works really well, but I could see where it might be more of a challenge to make it work well with jump rope. Another idea would be an accelerometer that attaches to the waist or maybe ankle. That'd be a more advanced project because it should probably be wireless.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

USA
God Member
View Profile

Another idea would be an accelerometer that attaches to the waist or maybe ankle. That'd be a more advanced project because it should probably be wireless.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be wireless, if skybill20 doesn't mind strapping a box big enough to fit an Uno and LCD screen on to one of his/her wrists or forearms, or mounted on a belt.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Another idea would be an accelerometer that attaches to the waist or maybe ankle. That'd be a more advanced project because it should probably be wireless.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be wireless, if skybill20 doesn't mind strapping a box big enough to fit an Uno and LCD screen on to one of his/her wrists or forearms, or mounted on a belt.

Good point, and a purpose-made board could be even smaller. Maybe a small four-digit seven-segment display, and powered by a couple AAA cells. I've been thinking about a data logger that would interface with a Polar heart rate sensor that I could take jogging. That probably wouldn't have a numeric display, but should be about the same size, business-card size at most.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

USA
God Member
View Profile

A Mini or Nano could be a fairly good compromise between a custom designed PCB and an Uno.  This might be the best place to start since the OP mentioned a lack of electronics experience, but a williness to learn (that's always appreciated on these forums smiley ).

Edit: Almost forgot about the other major components...

Here's an example of a compact four character, seven segement display module that uses serial communication.  A tutorial and example code is available from the linked page.   Directly controlling a seven segement display from the Arduino would be possible as well, but that would be easier to setup.

Also, here's an three axis accelerometer module.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:28:10 pm by Far-seeker » Logged

View Profile

Thanks for the replies.

I move around a lot usually in 4 x 6 foot area, so an accelerometer may not work.  As far as using something on my arm, it would be ok, since I used to run with an apple nano on my arm.

I'll look at the other suggestions as well.  In the meantime, I have been doing some furthur research and found a
Clap Counter using 8051 microcontroller (at89c51), but don't know how to put it together.

As far as learnig more I found this web site with an course. It is "Electronics Made Easy" and looks pretty comprhensive and only $20 bucks for download.  Anyone know if this is a good company or are there some better ones?

Thanks again for all your help.

Skybill20

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: