Go Down

Topic: JUMP ROPE STEP COUNTER (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I'm an avdid jump roper for exercise.  I am unhappy with the quality of the counters I find on standard jump ropes.  Thinking of building and/or buying an independent counter i could use for any rope I choose.

I would want it to count steps as rope passes some sort of sensor.(along with other options)  BTW I saw one on youtube, but the link for the product suggested it could damage my computer so I did not follow it.

I don't have any knowledge about electronics, but am willing to learn.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to:

1. Use a light sensor vs. a sound sensor
2. Any pre-built units available
3. In no to #2  then suggestions as to how a real novice should get started.

Thanks to all

Skybill20  :)

Jack Christensen

Do you jump in place or move around? I'm thinking a force sensor in or under a mat. I fitted my situp bench with one and it works really well, but I could see where it might be more of a challenge to make it work well with jump rope. Another idea would be an accelerometer that attaches to the waist or maybe ankle. That'd be a more advanced project because it should probably be wireless.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Far-seeker

Another idea would be an accelerometer that attaches to the waist or maybe ankle. That'd be a more advanced project because it should probably be wireless.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be wireless, if skybill20 doesn't mind strapping a box big enough to fit an Uno and LCD screen on to one of his/her wrists or forearms, or mounted on a belt.

Jack Christensen

Another idea would be an accelerometer that attaches to the waist or maybe ankle. That'd be a more advanced project because it should probably be wireless.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be wireless, if skybill20 doesn't mind strapping a box big enough to fit an Uno and LCD screen on to one of his/her wrists or forearms, or mounted on a belt.

Good point, and a purpose-made board could be even smaller. Maybe a small four-digit seven-segment display, and powered by a couple AAA cells. I've been thinking about a data logger that would interface with a Polar heart rate sensor that I could take jogging. That probably wouldn't have a numeric display, but should be about the same size, business-card size at most.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Far-seeker

Oct 19, 2012, 12:03 am Last Edit: Oct 19, 2012, 12:28 am by Far-seeker Reason: 1
A Mini or Nano could be a fairly good compromise between a custom designed PCB and an Uno.  This might be the best place to start since the OP mentioned a lack of electronics experience, but a williness to learn (that's always appreciated on these forums :) ).

Edit: Almost forgot about the other major components...

Here's an example of a compact four character, seven segement display module that uses serial communication.  A tutorial and example code is available from the linked page.   Directly controlling a seven segement display from the Arduino would be possible as well, but that would be easier to setup.

Also, here's an three axis accelerometer module.

Thanks for the replies.

I move around a lot usually in 4 x 6 foot area, so an accelerometer may not work.  As far as using something on my arm, it would be ok, since I used to run with an apple nano on my arm.

I'll look at the other suggestions as well.  In the meantime, I have been doing some furthur research and found a
Clap Counter using 8051 microcontroller (at89c51), but don't know how to put it together.

As far as learnig more I found this web site with an course. It is "Electronics Made Easy" and looks pretty comprhensive and only $20 bucks for download.  Anyone know if this is a good company or are there some better ones?

Thanks again for all your help.

Skybill20

Go Up