Go Down

Topic: Bug: Ethernet Library Sample Code WebClientRepeating (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Denbo

I originally posted this in http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,125510.0.html but since it appears to be a bug I will repost it here as well.

In the WebClientRepeating sample code for the Ethernet library there is a line for determining the posting interval.   The line is

Code: [Select]
const unsigned long postingInterval = 60*1000;  // delay between updates, in milliseconds

The problem is the actual value of the postingInterval is wrong when I print it out (it is 4294961760). It seems to be a casting/overflow problem with the compiler/preprocessor. It looks like it is treating the 60 and 1000 as signed integers.

I broke this out into very short sample code to demonstrate:
const unsigned long postingInterval = 60*1000;
const unsigned long postingIntervalB = (long)60*1000;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println(postingInterval);
  Serial.println(postingIntervalB); 
}

void loop() {}

When I run this I get back the following values:

Other Ethernet samples use 10 seconds (10*1000) and do not appear to have this problem.  I assume it is because it is withing the range of an signed integer and that is how the compiler/preprocessor is treating the values. 

Massimo Banzi

I've forwarded your message to the testers to get a diagnose :)

thanks

Federico Vanzati

the problem with this line:
const unsigned long postingInterval = 60*1000;  // delay between updates, in millisecond

is that the two numbers (60 and 1000) are by default defined as int constants. For AVRs ints have the size of 16-bit, so the multiplication between two ints with a result that will exceed the maximum dimension for the type, generate an overflow.

The solution should be the variable cast that you propose or assigning the constant with a different type, like:

const unsigned long postingInterval = 60L*1000;  // Long typ e constant

or

const unsigned long postingInterval = 60000;  //assigning directly

This example will be fixed in the next IDE release.
Thanks for reporting!

F

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy