Go Down

Topic: For Sounding Balloons or Red Bull Stratos: Why not use hydrogen over helium (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

Groove

Per Arduino ad Astra

JoeN

Most folks don't realise all the helium we have is all the helium we have!

That was sort of my point.  You think Helium is expensive now, wait until we have to make it via a nuclear process alpha-emitting.  And that will be the last way to get it if we use it all up.  It is one of the truly unrenewable resources on this planet.  And it's one of the few things within your personal power to send to outer space.
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

JoeN

Couldn't you use less helium by heating it?

It would add weight to the payload.  I am guessing that someone already thought of this and figured that there would not be a payoff.

What I am interested in knowing is if there is any theoretical way using nanostructures to make balloons out of vaccuums (voided nano-scale compartments or even human-scale ones) instead of using a lighter than air gas at all.   I envision something like styrofoam with voids in it and very light carbon materials keeping the voided areas voided and weighing very little.  Obviously the material science isn't there yet, but it is progressing quickly.
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

kf2qd

Problem with using a vacuum structure is that the structure weighs more that the air it is displacing and thus it won't float on air which is what Hydrogen and Helium do.

JoeN

Problem with using a vacuum structure is that the structure weighs more that the air it is displacing and thus it won't float on air which is what Hydrogen and Helium do.

Because you said so?  Link?

Go Up