Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Program microcontrolers without bootloader  (Read 747 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I'm quite new to the Arduino environment, but I like it. Problem is that it's that big that sometimes I get lost.

What I'm trying to do it's like a PLC running with Arduino compatible microcontrolers, so I can program it using Arduino IDE, which I like very much.
Once we have the program ready, I do not need to modify it and I have to upload it to 20+ chips.
So I am looking to find a way to program easily the chips.

I suppose that I can do the program on the Arduino IDE, then save the hex file to my computer and burn it directly to fresh chips. It is right?

How can I do that? I found this http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer But I want to know which programmer do I need so I can program big chips so as the MEGA2560. And also if possible the 1284p.

Thank you very much for your patience, I will appreciate any guide or link or whatever to continue working on it.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

You can use NickGammon's method to program them,
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635
http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11638

or get a dedicated programmer, Atmel AVR ISP MKii, $34 at mouser.com
and within the IDE use
Tools: Burn Bootloader to get the fuses set correctly,
and then
File: Upload Using Programmer within the IDE to program them.

Adding these core files tothe IDE will let you load up 1284P chips as well:
https://github.com/maniacbug/mighty-1284p

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Thanks Crossroads, i'll try. Hey: Are you the guy from: http://www.crossroadsfencing.com ??

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Yes I am.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

So we can buy to you the design and build of our electronic boards, if you want.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yes you can. Many have.  The big yellow board was my first here in the forum, some of the others were designs I did here also.  Others were designed and then purchased/built locally (for the user - like in Australia) and all I have is eagle files.
I have 4 board system in the works right now even. Looks like there might be 2-3 small boards to be added to it as well, for remote mounting of encoders, joystick, etc.

Others were inspired by discussions here in the forum, or by being irked that someone would raise $10K on kickstarter to make a little board up.

I update my link with new boards, a couple more were added yesterday, check them out:
 www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17

View Profile

As soon as we have the first designs, I will contact you.

Pennsylvania, USA
Trying to make sense of it all
View Profile

You'd want to use a AVRISP MK II programmer which programs all AVR chips and a properly-sized ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket on some kind of a solderable perforated PCB and a 6-pin 0.1 inch male header. 20 chips is not a huge amount but ZIF sockets are not that expensive anymore and are much easier to work with that regular sockets.

/\_/\      ARDUINO
((@v@))     CNC
()~|~()

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

I just program them after installation on the board.  Sure beats pulling the chip off & on the board and risk of mangling pins.

View Profile

Quote from: svalls
Program microcontrolers without bootloader
I suppose that I can do the program on the Arduino IDE, then save the hex file to my computer and burn it directly to fresh chips. It is right?

If you have a board like Arduino UNO just load ArduinoISP into it and connect Arduino UNO to the target AVR uC you want to program.

Arduino UNO + ArduinoISP form nothing else but an ordinary ISP programmer that together with avrdude can be used to load any hex file to most empty AVR controllers, without being obliged to write a bootloader first.

For details see this discussion:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,125248.0.html

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 01:34:42 am by simplex » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: