Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Electronics Help  (Read 898 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Me and a group of friends are building a rover for a school project.  What I am confused about is what specific parts I would need to complete it. We want it to:
-tell when it hits the surface from the job and drive out of a capsule
-pick a path away from the capsule (ping sensor)
-2 whell drive
-attach a camera to a servo for a panoramic to take a picture of the capsule

We want this to fit in a 150x100x100 mm box, we can expand it a bit more if we have to.  We were thinking of using a Arduino Uno R3 or going smaller and maybe a Arduino mini.  Thanks!

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

This looks like a collection of words selected from an array using a random number as the index.

You want to take a picture of the capsule from the capsule? Well, good luck with that.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

You want to take a picture of the capsule from the capsule?
mirror magic smiley-wink

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Me and a group of friends are building a rover for a school project.  What I am confused about is what specific parts I would need to complete it. We want it to:

Not impossible - but it's not going to be easy...

Well - first you need to know when the capsule is no longer in motion, and you also need to know that the capsule is "upright" (how are you going to ensure this? Even with a parachute, you might not land upright!). Probably a 3-axis accelerometer would be best for this, that way you can measure if you are still in motion, also when you "hit" the surface (a large jolt in acceleration opposite - I believe? - to "down"). You might also want something on the capsule that can tell when surface contact has been made (maybe a simple switch?). Or - if acceleration measurement is too much, look for a "caged ball" sensor to determine "orientation". Using one of those, and some kind of contact sensor switch on the capsule, might be enough to tell you "I am down, and I am upright - open pod bay doors, HAL"...

-pick a path away from the capsule (ping sensor)

Once again, assuming you are upright. You would also want to know what direction you are facing, so you can drive away, then "turn around" - a compass sensor of some sort (plus some kind of wheel motion measuring sensor) would be useful for this...

-2 whell drive

Pick the platform carefully - for this kind of a project, I would personally go for a Tamiya "tank tread" base with the dual motor gearbox, plus an L298-based motor driver board (which can control two motors).

Well - hooking up a servo is easy enough, but what kind of a camera do you intend to use? You can't hook a camera directly to the Arduino, so you'll need to either use a wireless camera of some sort (a cheap 900 MHz wireless "security camera" would work OK), or use some kind of lightweight "spy video camera" device (they make simple ones that have a camera and an SD card slot to record video easily, generally with audio as well).

We want this to fit in a 150x100x100 mm box, we can expand it a bit more if we have to.  We were thinking of using a Arduino Uno R3 or going smaller and maybe a Arduino mini.  Thanks!

With the tank platform I mentioned, it should be easy to fit all of this (even using a standard-sized Arduino) into those dimensions, I think...

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

USA
God Member
View Profile

Well - first you need to know when the capsule is no longer in motion, and you also need to know that the capsule is "upright" (how are you going to ensure this? Even with a parachute, you might not land upright!). Probably a 3-axis accelerometer would be best for this, that way you can measure if you are still in motion, also when you "hit" the surface (a large jolt in acceleration opposite - I believe? - to "down"). You might also want something on the capsule that can tell when surface contact has been made (maybe a simple switch?). Or - if acceleration measurement is too much, look for a "caged ball" sensor to determine "orientation". Using one of those, and some kind of contact sensor switch on the capsule, might be enough to tell you "I am down, and I am upright - open pod bay doors, HAL"...

The landing capsule could be designed like the ones used on NASA's Pathfinder and Mars Exploration Rovers.  They were tetrahedral in shape, with "pedals" that could shift the base (where the rover was attached) to be on a flat surface even if it didn't land completely right-side-up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: