Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Mega heating up  (Read 400 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I purchased an Arduino Mega 2560 clone and I believe the ATMega2560 is heating up too much (my Uno doesn't heat up at all).
Powered it from USB and tested with nothing connected, running a sketch that loops some math. Measuring with an IR thermometer I get about 39ºC (the rest of the board is around 30ºC and ambient is 27ºC).

Other than that it seems to be OK, I even tested every pin (as input and output) and they all work fine.
Also tested from a 9V battery and the board draws ~80mA with nothing connected.

Do you guys think this is an issue or should I just ignore it? If it's a latent issue that'll show up later I'd rather know now so I can request an RMA.
Is there any other test I can/should run?

Thanks in advance!

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I purchased an Arduino Mega 2560 clone and I believe the ATMega2560 is heating up too much (my Uno doesn't heat up at all).
Powered it from USB and tested with nothing connected, running a sketch that loops some math. Measuring with an IR thermometer I get about 39ºC (the rest of the board is around 30ºC and ambient is 27ºC).

Other than that it seems to be OK, I even tested every pin (as input and output) and they all work fine.
Also tested from a 9V battery and the board draws ~80mA with nothing connected.

Do you guys think this is an issue or should I just ignore it? If it's a latent issue that'll show up later I'd rather know now so I can request an RMA.
Is there any other test I can/should run?

Thanks in advance!

80 ma total current draw with nothing else connected to the board sounds correct, I don't think you have a problem at all.

Lefty

View Profile

Good to know, thanks! Do you think the heating is normal as well?

Wisconsin
Edison Member
I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!
View Profile

I agree it seems fine.

Do a quick double check to make sure your wiring to the power source and ground connections are right just to be safe.

Accelerate to 88 miles per hour.

View Profile

Double checked everything, I guess it's fine indeed. Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: