Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Guidance for RF Link between arduino's for quadcopter  (Read 171 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Greetings to everyone.

I am interested in making a quadcopter from scratch, since i love rc modelling (have some hellis and cars). and also get to know better arduino practising C.

I won't tire you with all the details on what i want to build in total.. I will just start from the transmitter. I have an old 4 channel TX that i want to use with a totally new heart in it. I have taken everything out and added on the empty body some toggle switches, 2 joystick levers, and few potentiometers. plus.... An arduino + RFM23BP 433Mhz HopeRF (+30dBm 1W High Power RF Wireless Transceiver). I want to pass multiple channels for starters at least 12 and get back at least the aircraft's position from the GPS module readings.

After reading many  articles over the internet i found out that there are many ways to do wireless connection between two arduinos. Too confusing i should say. So for starters what is the best way to achieve such connection? Those RF modules i purchased have client server mode, is this the right type of connection for both-sides traffic?  I guess this this a serial connection(??) and the only limitation is the volume of data  can be transferred every time.

Is it better to use them as typical RX/TX out-of-the-selve modules encoding PMM with arduino sending them through RF and decoding them on the receiver? (i think this should really be stupid since this tactic works for ready RX/TX modules that have to comply and work somehow with arduino board)

That's for now, i don't want to tire anyone just would love some tips if any.

Thanks in advance for your time and i would love to hear some ideas smiley)

best regards,
thanos

View Profile

After reading many  articles over the internet i found out that there are many ways to do wireless connection between two arduinos. Too confusing i should say. So for starters what is the best way to achieve such connection? Those RF modules i purchased have client server mode, is this the right type of connection for both-sides traffic?  I guess this this a serial connection(??) and the only limitation is the volume of data  can be transferred every time.
could be a problem then.
i don't know how you would set up the RF communication with just one controller - that would get into some hardcore electronics and perhaps beyond the scope of Arduino programming.
if you are using two controllers, then try starting with the info here;
http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=433Mhz_RF_link_kit

Heemskerk, Netherlands
View Profile

It is allways a serial connection between both. And in principle it is always a client-server model. The client asks and the server responds. As we say here in Holland "There are many roads to Rome" meaning there are many solutions possible. They all depend on you requirements:
- What do you expect the quadcopter to do?
- What are its functions
- Max weight (lift power and power consumation)
- how much power do you expect the quadcopter to consume (determines the fly time)
- what is the range of the RF connections
- How much do you want to modify yourself (ranging from ready-mad to do it all yourself).
Jus a few ideas. In other words I would first determine what I want and then find the components that fit my requirements. RF Link is just a connection between the 2 with price/functionality limitations. More functionality usually means moor cpu power = higher price etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: