Go Down

Topic: Non-Odometric Navigation? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

zoomkat

Is there a way to calculate distance moved based on original positioning without utilizing odometry?

If there was an easy way, you would already see lots of projects using it. 
Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   8)

cr0sh

I saw this update - then saw my comments - and now I'm going to comment some more!

If you want to learn and understand how SLAM works, and how WAVEFRONT (and other such methods of route planning, like A* and such) work - I suggest you take this course:

http://www.udacity.com/overview/Course/cs373/CourseRev/apr2012

I signed up for it not long after my last post (April 16th, 2012); I completed it and got my certificate on June 14th - I don't consider myself an expert on SLAM, but I had a fun time, and now know much more than I did then! I also learned that I really need a follow up course on probabilities and statistics!

Yes - it is very complicated - but it was worth all the effort, hours and tears I put into it. Between it and the Machine Learning class I took last year (which you can still take via Coursera, I think) - they are both some of the best resources out there for learning and applying artificial intelligence.

I'm afraid there aren't any shortcuts to this process - but there is still a very wide open field and lots of potential applications to apply such learning and skills toward!
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up