Go Down

Topic: USB fash drives and HDD (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

goncalor

Hey all. I've just read the Due's specifications page and looked through the Atmel SAM3X8E datasheet and there's something I'm not clear about: is it possible to connect a USB flash drive or a HDD (externaly powered) to the Due's native USB port so that it can read and store data to and from the device? If so what is the maximum memory size of such devices that the Due would be able to address?

The info on the datasheet for SAM3X8E is that the external bus interface has 16-bit data, 8 chip selects and 23-bit address.

Thank you.

pYro_65

The USB port is a host device. It should be able to connect to anything with appropriate software.
This is something that will be used extensively if available, I'd imagine you could emulate any address length you want.

goncalor

That's a good point. You mean using virtual addresses right?

pYro_65

Oct 23, 2012, 01:15 am Last Edit: Oct 23, 2012, 01:17 am by pYro_65 Reason: 1
yeah, I think it would be a serial communication. kind of like talking to LCD's, clocking out 16 or some bit data essentially formatted by the LCD/flash device specifications.

EDIT: this seems interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mass-storage_device_class

pYro_65

It seems there is a mass storage bootloader, so there might be code we can retrofit for general read/write operations.

Go Up