Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: USB fash drives and HDD  (Read 6520 times)
Forum Administrator
Milano, Italy
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Only USBHost library is under GPL. Since the original USBHost is licensed under GPL, we are forced to release that part under GPL.

The remaining part of Arduino core is under the less restrictive LPGL.

C

C.

God Member
View Profile

So, if an Arduino developer simply deletes the USBHost library, in subsequent development he/she is bound by LGPL only, and not anything stronger?

I thought the tricky (and controversial) thing about GPL 2 was that if you used it anywhere in your project, then your whole project falls under the licence conditions. So, everyone is certain that having _some_ GPL 2 licensed code as part of the standard Arduino 1.5 distro doesn't have a knock-on effect that means _everything_ in Auduino 1.5 is now GPL 2?

That could lead to some "uh-oh" moments... always best to be 100% clear about such issues at the outset of any development effort.

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Forum Administrator
Milano, Italy
View Profile

pico, are you sure? this is a major point to be cleared.
If what you are saying is true, the USBHost lib should be deployed as a separate download ASAP.

C

C.

God Member
View Profile

pico, are you sure?

No, not at all. That's why I was asking the question!

this is a major point to be cleared.

Agreed.

If what you are saying is true, the USBHost lib should be deployed as a separate download ASAP.

That would seem a prudent course of action.

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Portugal
View Profile

pYro_65, thank you for the references you gave me. I shall look at them with more detail later.
I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier. Thanks again  smiley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: