Go Down

Topic: 3.3V inputs & outputs (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

Nikarus

I think this document should be sited in a sticky post on this section of the forum:-
ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/chapter%208.pdf
It is all about different techniques for translating 3V3 and 5V.

Hmm, this is a good read, it really should be stickyed

JacobChrist

Actually, the chipKIT Uno32 and Max32 boards based on the PIC32 that are Ardunio compatible seem more compatible to Arduino than DUE.  Most pins on the chipKIT boards have 5V tolerant inputs where the DUE does not.  This means that most Arduino shield will work with chipKIT but not DUE.  I imagine that many people will end up frustrated with a DUE purchase to find out there existing sheilds don't work (and may even damage there SAM3A chips).

Jacob

hiduino

I'm sure someone could modify one of these shields with level shifters.

The Go-Between shield: http://mayhewlabs.com/products/go-between-shield
or
The TransmogriShield: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11469

funlw65

Switching from 5V designs to 3.3V designs is already a burden. Is more expensive and designs require more space or higher density. Having to deal with lower currents just increase the complexity. But this mean only two things:

1. Many are not ready to make the switch so, the 3.3V boards are not for them (not that they are not "intellectual" capable of making the switch);

2. For those beginners, brave enough to dive into, there must be a solid documentation and I mean not only formulas. There must be detailed examples of interfacing with various peripherals to avoid damages to the board as much as possible (is not an easy job to "move" folks to a "new system"), as you find on PICAXE documentation.

The "pros" who waited for Due are not considered in my comment - they know what to do with an ARM and a 3.3V board. And also, they must understand that not everybody is a pro and there can be differences from person to person (considering that anyone will take by storm the Arduino store and the local distributors to get a Due).

Patouf

The newest versions of some official shields hava an ioref pin, so will they work with the due?
L.C.

Go Up