Go Down

Topic: MPU-6050 gyro calibration (Read 6480 times) previous topic - next topic

hozone

hello,
i'm playing with a mpu6050 micro-
i use the i2cdevlib mpu6050 library.

i've a problem with the gyro
even if the chip is not moving, i alwars read a small amount of gyro.
@ 2000 deg/sec raw data on X axis is between 41 and 49, Y -13 and -7, Z 27 and 31
to prevent this error, i try to calibrate this by hand substracting ia middle value to the read data
XOFFSET -42 / YOFFSET 9  / ZOFFSET -29
things goes better, but it always move a little, using DMP or mahony alghoritm.

i've only 1 chip, so i can not test this with other mpu6050.
is this a problem of my chip, or i've to calibrate the gyro, or i'm i wrong in other way.

tks ;)

Chagrin

The MPU-6050 has a +/- 20 degrees/second tolerance for zero rate, but this is normal for any gyro chip.

You should be using the accelerometer readings in combination with the gyro for a zero point of reference.

hozone

The MPU-6050 has a +/- 20 degrees/second tolerance for zero rate, but this is normal for any gyro chip.

You should be using the accelerometer readings in combination with the gyro for a zero point of reference.

thank you.
the internal DMP of this chip should already combine gyro and accell, or i'm i wrong?
i've made some screenshot of the behavior 16.50 / 19.20 / 20.50 time (chip is in the same position, i've not moved it)

SouthernAtHeart

About the photos in this thread, they look like a program that takes the YPR and simulates it on your computer.  Is there any kind of free programs that would do this for me on my Mac, using the MPU-6050?  I've searched for motion tracking software with no luck, that doesn't seem to be the right wording...

hozone

pictures here are taken from processing.org (there is a mac version too).

for calibration, you can find the python script i've built here:
http://davidegironi.blogspot.it/2013/01/gyroscope-calibration-helper-01-for-avr.html
it should works on mac too ;)

SouthernAtHeart

Thanks!  I've heard of processing but I never knew what it was.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy