Go Down

Topic: Use of other Atmel micro controllers (Read 476 times) previous topic - next topic

scottyjr

A project I am working on is a solar tracker. It uses 4 analog inputs and one digital ouput. I thought it'd be cool if it could be controlled by an inexpensive 8 pin device such as the ATTiny85. What puzzles me about using a micro controller without the aid of the Arduino platform is troubleshooting the code which is normally done on an Arduino using the serial monitor. How is this done? - Scotty

focalist

Personally, I use ATMEGA8-16, which sell for around $1.50 shipped- and has all the resources of the 328 except less flash.  I'm soon going to be picking up a 644 to play with and a couple of tiny's, but for the first step off the "standard" 328, I would recommend that you go within the same line so as to get used to flashing a bootloader (or not), getting the right config files, etc isn't quite so "new".

You can always use SoftSerial and define a UART...
When the testing is complete there will be... cake.

Riva

A long as you stick to ATtiny8 compatible command then debug on the UNO and then strip Serial stuff and change pin numbers to suit tiny. Also maybe a simple LED (if you have spare pin) that you turn on/off in interesting parts of the code.

Erni

Oct 23, 2012, 05:41 pm Last Edit: Oct 23, 2012, 05:45 pm by Erni Reason: 1
which is normally done on an Arduino using the serial monitor

You have several options for debugging a Attiny85 using the serial monitor

SoftwareSerial
TinyDebugSerial

These options require that you connect a Serial/USB connector to the tiny when you want to communicate with it (and remove your programmer)

TinyISP:
Serial Relay
Knock-Bang
Null debugger

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,123388.30.html

With these you can leave all the wires from the programmer (Arduino) and use the serial monitor with a single command.
A big thank to Coding Badly for this solution.
The one that feels most Arduino-like is Serial-Relay in my opinion.

Go Up