Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Due Mini/Nano  (Read 13142 times)
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

And then there's this guy:

http://jkdevices.com/arduino-megamini

not particularly mini, tiny or teensy, but it does get the full sized TQFP chip on there and manages to get all the pins broken out, in a form factor that looks comparable in size to an Uno. Mini for a Mega, I guess!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:45:29 am by pico » Logged

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

God Member
View Profile

Yet another interesting mini ARM dev board:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kuy/galago-make-things-better

also:

http://outbreak.co/galago

The thing that sets this apart is the IDE hardware debugging using JTAG and gdb. (I'm intrigued enough that I've actually preordered one. Must. Stop. Buying. Dev. Boards. Just. Because. They. Look. Interesting.)

I was wondering if the DUE might not have JTAG based debugging with it. Are there any firm future plans for hardware debugging on an Arduino ARM based deg board? I seem to remember discussions where this was going to be on the agenda for the DUE (a NZ-based developer of a debugger product springs to mind), but I guess it got left out under time pressure to get it out the door. Or are the technical difficulties deeper than that?

Hardware debugging would be a very nice feature. Obviously.

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Venezuela
God Member
Ground, ground, always ground
View Profile

Notice that the LFBGA144 package for the ATSAM3X8E is twice smaller than the actual  LQFP144 of the Arduino Due.

LFBGA144
10 x 10 x 1.4 mm

LQFP144
20 x 20 x 2.4 mm

Here a picture of both together with the Arduino DUE.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

The trouble with BGAs is that you need about 10 layers to get the pins broken out. They are nice and small though.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Portland, OR
View Profile

While it does indeed have a compact footprint, I don't see much advantage to the BGA version here.
Especially because if a nano version is of interest, the pinout would contribute far more to the total area of the board than the uC itself. That said, if a smaller chip AND fewer pins are the way taken, then SAM3A4C and SAM3X4C, which are 100-pin variants from the same family, might be options as someone mentioned earlier.

Auckland, New Zealand
View Profile

The trouble with BGAs is that you need about 10 layers to get the pins broken out.

And then the board cost goes up a lot ...

Peoples Republic of Cantabrigia
God Member
Arduino happiness
View Profile

... and the ability of folk to roll their own boards based on those chips go down. It's hard enough and expensive enough to get a 4-layer board made...

Nice, France
View Profile

A small factor Due is in the list of boards that will come out.
Good to hear.
There are a number of issues to solve ... for example with such a big processors it becomes hard to make something that would fit into a breadboard without removing access to most of the pins.
Removing access to pins is generally a bad idea; if a smaller chip doesn't provide a feature, fair enough, but if the chip does provide it and it is not broke out then this is frustrating, because SMD pins are so tiny so wiring directly to the pins is hard.
On the other hand, it may be worth examining whether breadboardability is a primary requirement for a small form factor. Breadboards with their parallel rows of connections impose a constraint on the PCB that is not needed or helpful. If a 'Nano Due' could be connected via multiple rows of solder holes (or pins, or sockets) around the periphery the more pins could be broken out.
For example: Is it important to have the two separate USB connections or just the "native" connection would suffice?
Since that is one of the defining features of the original Due then I would say yes, its important to keep on a Mini/Nano Due. For example, people might prototype and develop on an original Due, then use a mini/nano Due to mount permanently in the completed project.
There is also the possibility (and this is not without risk, but should be considered) to break away from the 2.54mm/0.1" grid spacing for sockets, and to make a range of small boards with smaller pitch (1mm?) sockets and corresponding small-pitch shields.

Lexington, SC
View Profile

I think that you lose some features with the SAM3X8E but I can't find a good comparison chart right now.
Atmel just released asf 3.5 and I got a sd card/Fatfs api working on a SAM3X-EK so that is exciting. 
My goal is to get a standalone json/cgi server running,  I think that can lead to some really cool "Internet of Things" applications.

What is the priority: Due Mini vs Due Net?  Due Net would seem to be a little easier hardware wise but integrating FatFs/lwIP/SD card drivers might be a pain.

Regards

"Who left the fridge open?"
-Tugg Speedman
(Scorcher VI - Global Meltdown)

Arduino rocks
View Profile

The due mini/pro version is already out there  smiley

http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/Iduino_DUE_Pro

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: