Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino car horn  (Read 1010 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am wondering if there is a simple way to generate a car horn noise like the typical meep that a car outputs with the arduino. I don't have a car horn but I want the arduino to output a wave that will sound like one.

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

Output to what?

A typical car horn is just two very loud sounders operating at slightly different frequencies. Having your Arduino generate the frequencies would be easy enough. Actually, an Arduino is overkill; you could just as easily set up a couple of 555 or 556 oscillators.  But making it actually produce any noise would need some speakers and an amplifier circuit - that would be pretty similar whatever you use to generate the original signal..

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

USA
God Member
View Profile

While PeterH is correct, unless space is at a premium you could also get actual car horns.  Since automobile electrical systems are based on automotive batteries, most would only require 12 VDC to operate.  They would be interefaced to an Arduino similar to a uni-directional 12 VDC motor, in that you'd use a relay or power MOSFET to turn the horn on and off.

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

The OP said 'meep', not 'honk'. I think we need some clarification as to whether it's a Road Runner, a Buick, or a locomotive sound that's desired. "Meep" makes me think Citroen. smiley Then, getting into replicating something like these, makes me think of harmonics and wavetable synthesis. Or just using a wave or MP3 shield, and finding a recording of the desired sound. Whether that's simple depends on how you define simple.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: