Go Down

Topic: Variation on the Same Old Topic: MP3 Players and the Arduino (Read 894 times) previous topic - next topic

tms8c8

I've read enough to feel confident that I can build an mp3 player that is controlled via an Arduino. What I want to do is slightly different, though, and I would appreciate any input!

First: I do NOT want to purchase pre-made mp3 shields. Once I've settled on a design, I will be building my own PCBs in large quantities so there is a significant savings if I can include the desired mp3 functionality in my board design. I do NOT want to cobble two or three PCBs together. If this can't be done, then it can't be done. It's a secondary feature I'd like to include but not absolutely necessary.

Ok - so ... My gadget allows the user to scroll through .txt files on an SD card and select the desired file. The Arduino then does some data analysis type calculations on this text file. I would also like to be able to select a .mp3 file from the same SD card and play it.

My question is how to get the Arduino to "hand" the selected file to an MP3 player and, more fundamentally, where are some good resources to learn how to design my own MP3 player for this task?

Thanks for any help!

johnwasser

I would start with the VS1053b audio codec datasheet: http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/SMD/vs1053.pdf  Figure 3 shows a typical circuit.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

tms8c8

Thanks John! That looks like a great resource to learn what I need. I'll have a detailed look at it this weekend.

Go Up