Go Down

Topic: Can a pointer be null and if so can it be tested for? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Old habit.

No problem. Usually, I prefer explicit comparisons (myPtr != NULL), except in the case of pointer (myPtr). I'm not sure why.

I'm in the habit of explicit comparisons also. Part is computer science purism (NULL is a concept, not a particular value), part is influence from other languages, part is one particular project.

if(myPtr) is not a problem when NULL is defined as zero, which is true 99.99...% of the time.

I have worked on software where NULL was not equal to zero. Granted, it's extremely rare and a little bizarre, but it did reinforce the habit of explicit comparisons.

Nick Gammon

I believe that conformant compilers are supposed to accept:

Code: [Select]

if (ptr)

... as a valid test for a non-null pointer, regardless of the internal representation of pointers.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Dyslexicbloke

I am following all the reasoning and I agree testing for a positive condition id the option but this business of syntax ..
If(MyPointer) OR If(MyPointer != NULL)

I assume that they are functionally the same once compiled, and I want to be consistent when coding ....
Any chance we could have a consensus,
I haven't a clue so will go with the short version given no other selection criteria.

Thanks
folks
If I knew where the box was I would probably still want to think outside it!

Feel free to be blunt ... Its how I learn.

Coding Badly

I assume that they are functionally the same once compiled

Yes.

Any chance we could have a consensus,

PaulS and Nick Gammon both stated the "!= NULL" is not required.  I call that a consensus.

Dyslexicbloke

That's 3 votes then ... good enough for me ' If(MyPointer) ' it is

Thanks again folks.
If I knew where the box was I would probably still want to think outside it!

Feel free to be blunt ... Its how I learn.

Go Up