Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Medium-range RF signaling device  (Read 634 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello.

I need to remote-control an Arduino with RF signaling. Sending two signals (i.e. having two channels) is enough, although 4 would be better. Something like the remote controls for opening/closing garage doors would be ok, but a simple test showed that they have very short range. For this project, working reliably across 70 meters outdoors without obstacles is the minimum required.

What kind of remote control would be adequate for this project? I'm using the Arduino Mega and this is my first project.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Longer range suggests longer wavelength, in general, so an ISM device in 433MHz band (or whatever is appropriate to your territory) will fare better than anything in 2.4GHz band for same power, for instance.  And you must have proper antenna to get good range.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

I was looking for recommendations naming specific products  smiley-roll-sweat (I'm a novice on electronics and a complete beginner on Arduino.)

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Well I've used HopeRF transceiver modules before - RFM12 and RFM12B - there are libraries available (Jeelabs for instance)  and there a lot of simple serial-replacement point-to-point modules out there.  You do need to do your research on the available bands and power/duty-cycle limits for your region.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

The 60mW Xbee should work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: