Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Emergency-light controller  (Read 1189 times)
Norway
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Ok, thank you. I´ll draw a schematic and post it here, to prohibit errors on my part smiley-wink

Norway
View Profile

So, does this seem about right ? I don´t understand completely how the NPN works, because I thought it had to have a common GND with the Arduino and the car.

* NPNSPDT.png (58.65 KB, 700x400 - viewed 9 times.)

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

Yes, you need to connect Arduino ground to the car ground (i.e. negative side of the 12v battery) as well. If you're running your arduino from the 12v car supply, you must be doing this already.

Don't forget the diode across the relay coil.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Norway
View Profile

Yeah, It´s all connected to the car battery. Then i have a straight-forward way of doing things! Thank you all so much, love this community!

I have some 2N3904 (NPN´s) and some 1N4148 diode´s on hand, so I´ll just use that.

I have also done a a test run on the Arduino and the clicking from the SPDT seems much "firmer" now, so I´m quite confident smiley

Norway
View Profile

This is actually working and turning out awesome. Thanks a bunch!

* awesome.png (891.31 KB, 800x598 - viewed 10 times.)

Norway
View Profile

So, after hooking this up to the vehicle something strange is happening time to time. Sometimes there is very little light from one of the relays, sometimes there's more. It's the same circuit that's acting up. What happened just now was that the circuit continued to give out power even after the Arduino was shut down. How is that possible?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

Sometimes there is very little light from one of the relays, sometimes there's more.
I'd be very concerned about ANY light from any of the relays. Sniff. Sniff. What's that burning?

Norway
View Profile

No, no, bad choice of words. Of course I mean output. Current. Voltage. Electricity smiley

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

If the relay isn't passing the full current, then it sounds like you have a dodgy connection or a faulty relay. If it stays on when it should be off, that could mean a faulty relay, shorted transistor, or shorted wiring. Do you get a good clicking sound from that relay when you turn it on and off?

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Norway
View Profile

So, after investigating a little, I decided to change the resistor to a 1kO on just that circuit. The other ones run a 0,8kO resistor. So far everything is running smooth. If there is a error, I think it's the transistor and will change that as soon as I get one.

Norway
View Profile

I know its been a while since I started this project, its actually a while since I finished it!

Thank you all for your grand help!

You can see (some) of the result here:

http://youtu.be/LkfvAbjPgRU

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: