Go Down

Topic: Determine valve handle position (Read 466 times) previous topic - next topic

tjjunior

Hi all,

Any suggestions on the best way to determine the position of a ball valve?  I'd like to use the existing valve which is similar to:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=441744

Can I mount something on the handle that would still allow it to be used in the normal fashion?  I could live with a binary response (fully closed vs not fully closed), preferred would be 3 levels:  Fully closed, fully open, somewhere in between.  The valve would still be operated by hand, I just need to know the status of the valve elsewhere (e.g. if the engine is operating while this valve is closed, give a warning signal to the operator).

Suggestions on an inexpensive sensor I could use to send a signal to the Arduino?

Thanks!

johnwasser

You could use a potentiometer on a bracket that mounts it over the valve axis.  The Arduino could then measure the valve position.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

PeterH

A microswitch that is closed when the valve is closed, in series with a switch that is closed when the engine is running, powering a lamp, seems to be all you need. How to arrange the 'engine running' switch is a question only you can answer, but it does not seem likely to be difficult.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

tjjunior

I think the micro switch is exactly the route I was trying to think of.  I'll give both a shot and see how it goes from there, thanks! The engine test should be pretty basic, not too worried about that one.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy