Go Down

Topic: Solder third hand with screw mount base (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

justjed

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to upgrade my drill (handheld drill probably bought 20 years ago) or at least the drill bits.

Get some new bits, Michael. There's no reason for a quality drill to go bad in 20 years. The chuck might get loose, but you can replace the chuck. Get a set of titanium nitride coated bits. I have some from Ryobi, and they're great. DeWalt are good as well. I'm sure that Freud, Porter-Cable, and Makita are good too. But the titanium-nitride coating makes a difference in how long the edge stays good. BTW, I used to through 3/16 bits like crazy installing melamine cabinetry, but I save the dull ones for drilling into drywall.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

MichaelMeissner

If you can make a "Close" fit you can use glue to hold it in the recess... Or epoxy or shu goo... or?? like I said "Punk it up", I read that thread about your camera and was totally impressed with your skills and imagination... Put 'em to Use...

Bob

On the steampunk/renfaire events, I've had bad luck with glues of different sorts holding, so I mostly use screws to hold things together (preferably 1/4" screws).

Note, while I will probably decorate it somewhat, my daughter (whom it is for) is not into steampunk.  She is more of a renfaire and WoW type of girl.  But the important thing is that it hold the jewelry pieces in place and allow her to do the soldering to attach things.  Sometimes punking things up can interfere with the functionality, and since at the moment neither of our work areas is 'on stage', I want to go for core function first.

I do think eventually when she has her tent up and is selling at events, she may want to think about soldering/wiring/etc. during slow periods.

MichaelMeissner

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to upgrade my drill (handheld drill probably bought 20 years ago) or at least the drill bits.

Get some new bits, Michael. There's no reason for a quality drill to go bad in 20 years. The chuck might get loose, but you can replace the chuck. Get a set of titanium nitride coated bits. I have some from Ryobi, and they're great. DeWalt are good as well. I'm sure that Freud, Porter-Cable, and Makita are good too. But the titanium-nitride coating makes a difference in how long the edge stays good. BTW, I used to through 3/16 bits like crazy installing melamine cabinetry, but I save the dull ones for drilling into drywall.

Yes, the bits are probably on the old-ish and probably need replacing.  However, as I said, I had bought a concrete bit specifically to hang some shelves (project #823 of my undone projects) and I couldn't get it to make a hole with the new bit.  So, I assume I need something with more torque.  I don't know when we bought it, but I think my wife bought it primarily as a power screwdriver.

justjed

Yes, the bits are probably on the old-ish and probably need replacing.  However, as I said, I had bought a concrete bit specifically to hang some shelves (project #823 of my undone projects) and I couldn't get it to make a hole with the new bit.  So, I assume I need something with more torque.  I don't know when we bought it, but I think my wife bought it primarily as a power screwdriver.

Concrete can be quite difficult. I don't remember that I've ever drilled into it with a plain old drill. It really takes a rotary hammer (hammerdrill), and even then, I've come across some concrete which was very hard, and gone through multiple bits. If you look at a masonry bit, you see that the end isn't a cutting edge, it's more like a broad v-shaped chisel. The intent of that is to break the concrete (or mortar, or brick). Just spinning it will get you almost nowhere, unless you're drilling into something softer, like plaster, or maybe some brick or mortar. I used to have one of these. That was the shizznit! Works as a regular drill too. There are smaller versions from various makers available. Even cordless.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Go Up